Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 December 2011
When I started planning my own trip around the world by bicycle several years ago, I did a lot of research as to what exactly that would entail. Early on, I discovered Alastair's website, [...], and I found it to be a great source of information and motivation. When constructing the blog for my trip[...], his website was a guide for me in developing the format and content of mine.

I have read and enjoyed his other books, so when I heard that he was coming out with "There Are Other Rivers" I could not wait to get my hands on a copy. After carrying up to five books at a time on my bike (I multi-task), I gave in and bought a Kindle. It is a good thing because, in a few clicks, I had my copy of "There Are Other Rivers".

My wife, Kate, and I have been on the road for over six months now. When people ask me why we chose to take on a three year intercontinental bicycle journey, I find myself lacking the time to truly explain the meaning of our travels. In his book, Alastair has captured the spirit of why we travel.

His insights into travel in India are great. I especially like the format in which he chose to write the book. Once I started reading, I did not stop and finished the book in one day. I feel that the book is slightly under-priced at $3. If you want a good read and a lot of value for your money, I would recommend getting your copy.
on 24 August 2014
A book that feels extremely open and honest about life on the open road. It's a bit like listening in to someone's inner thoughts and dreams.
on 4 July 2014
A brilliant read, brought back lots of memories from my own travels. Made me want to pack my bag up and set off again. Highly recommended.
on 1 January 2012
As always, I loved the frankness and honesty displayed by Alastair in this book. I would recommend it to anyone, whether you usually enjoy travel/adventure books or not. If you do, then you must read all of Al's books immediately if you haven't already. They are all extremely well written, entertaining, informative and inspiring. If this genre is not really your thing, then at least read this book as it is not written in the usual style of describing each day of the journey. It gives you a tantalising taste of his amazing trek across southern India, while eloquently and humbly discussing his need and desire to push himself to the limit on trips such as this. The book is short and not expensive so well worth buying and saving for a day when you need reminding that life is precious and should be lived to the full. I was given the old fashioned book version for Christmas, signed by Alastair as all you need to do is email him, which is also worth having as it includes great photos. It asks you to consider donating the book to a charity shop after reading, selfishly I will be keeping mine as I'm a book addict and have copies of my favourite books filling the house, though I guess this defeats the object of having a kindle!
on 8 December 2011
As Alastair notes, this is not a linear book of his travels across India but the experimental approach is refreshing and made continuous page turning through the book easy and pleasurable.

Over the years I have read, and greatly enjoyed, a lot of books about adventure. They often fuel my imagination and power my dreams for weeks after they have been read. I'm not sure if it is because I share similar beliefs, or perhaps just a similar age, with Alastair but I find a certain extra spark in his books that I have not discovered elsewhere in those other stories. His books don't just inspire my imagination, his books make me think I could actually get out there and do it myself. He doesn't make me think about doing something... I find myself planning it!

If I have to provide one gripe? It was too short! ;-)
on 23 November 2014
Great book, well written and inspirational. Having just returned from India, reading this book made me want to go right back.
on 25 June 2014
A fantastic book for anyone who has ever dreamed of getting away from it all. Inspiring and beautifully written. Read it!
on 25 May 2013
This is an excellent read and one that will inspire you to take unexpected adventures. Read it, you won't regret it!
on 11 January 2014
I really enjoyed this book. It was so interesting and a bit different from the usual travel stories. A good read.
on 21 March 2013
A great read and well written. Another great book from Alastair written in his own style that keeps you hooked.