Customer reviews

Slumber: The Fade: Book One
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 January 2018
This book started really well and I was drawn in by the eloquent language and the imagery the author created.
Here is a list of the positives:
Well written
Loved the tension created between the characters of Rogan and Wolfe because of their backgrounds - this was the strongest part of the plot for me.
Really liked the Moss family Rogan found on the mountain, especially the character of L.
Pretty decent world-building (although the foreign sounding words and titles confused me a bit at first)
Gripping, moved along swiftly and kept me interested all the way through
And a list of negatives:
Really hated the way the characters kept using "haven" instead of "heaven". I know this was the author's attempt at changing the language but it just jarred for me every time I read it and I thought she could have come up with something better, as well as more background about their beliefs.
Hated the way Syracen was removed from the story so quickly and casually. He was a strong villain but he ended up just being a plot device for Rogan and Wolfe's love story.
Not sure I liked the idea of the sleeping disease and the search for a plant to help Haydyn - reminded me too much of other stories/fairytales.
Not sure I liked the way Rogan's gift didn't develop and she was only able to find things for others.
Not sure I was convinced Wolfe would have kept his own powers secret for so long/not made use of them before.
Didn't like the names Haydyn and Rogan (a bit petty I know but not beautiful enough names for them!)
Would have liked a more passionate love scene (but understand that this may be down to targeting younger age groups)
Seems like a lot of negatives but I was really engrossed in the story and would read more by this author.
on 30 November 2012
I don't think I have ever been more annoyed at myself (in a good way). If I remember correctly i looked at this book after reading Sam's Lunamorte series but thought it wasn't something i would enjoy, so didn't bother buying it. Then i was looking for something to read, saw it on Amazon and thought 'what the hell' you've never been disappointed by Samantha Young before. Well...I have no idea what i was thinking the first time around, as this is exactly the type of book i look to buy.
I loved all the characters in this story and they were all very well written.
Taken as a child for her power to be able to find anything anyone asks for, Rogan's story starts of a very sad one and for someone who has been through so much at such a young age, Rogan is very brave and strong and has dealt with the life she was forced into very well, even growing to care for the people at the palace. Rogan lives in a time where woman don't have as many rights, freedom of speech and choices. This doesn't stop her however, and she speaks her mind whether people like it or not (they generally tend not to). Especially when it comes to a certain Captain of the Guard, Rogan hates the man and doesn't hide her feelings towards him either, yet in every way she has met her match this time.
Wolfe Stovia's father was the one who came and took Rogan as a child, destroying her family forever. Even with his father long dead Rogan holds a special hatred for the Captain and believes him to be just like his father, even believing he is waiting to take his revenge on Rogan for his fathers death.
When Rogan's best friend Haydyn slips into a sleep that will soon claim her life, Rogan has no other option than to travel with Captain Wolfe and the Royal Guard to try and find a cure for Haydyn.
The arguments between Captain Wolfe and Rogan were brilliant! At times i really did feel sorry for all those guards having to travel with them, because at times i just wanted someone to lock the two of them in a room together until they realized their feelings for one another. Perhaps even bang their heads together just for pay back ;)
On their journey to save Haydyn, Rogan gets herself into trouble over and over again by continually disobeying the orders of the Captain (poor man!) forcing him to come and rescue her. The mission begins to teach Rogan more about herself and that you can leave the past in the past without forgetting where she came from and the family she lost.
The closer she gets the Wolfe the more she thinks she misjudged him all along. But can she forget who his father is and learn to trust him? Could she possibly love him?
Rogan and Wolfe take the main love story but there is another one played out lightly in the background between Haydyn and Matai - her personal guard. Their ending is left unclear as Matai is too low in rank to marry Haydyn, so she is left with the choice whether to marry for love or duty.

I really enjoyed this book. A part of me angry that i refused to put it down and now it is finished :(

Although, saying that. I feel the way Samantha ended the story there is defiantly room for a sequel (please, please, please!). After Haydyn wakes up she has also changed and some might question whether for the good or not.

I have never bought a Samantha Young book and thought it was a disappointment and Slumber didn't just keep my expectations but blasted them all through the roof.

Great job Sam!!!

5/5
on 19 February 2012
Addictive.

Synopsis: A sleeping beauty may be the damsel in distress, but her White Knight? Why her rather un-knightish best friend of course. And the White Knight's White Knight? Well... none other than her reluctant mortal enemy...

When Haydyn falls victim to the mysterious Sleeping Disease, the world of Phaedra is thrown into Chaos.
Rogan, Haydyn's best friend and handmaiden, is the only one who can save her. Together, with the Royal Guard and their young Captain, Wolfe Stovia, Rogan must set off across the provinces to find the Somna Plant that will wake Haydyn from her dying sleep.

Beset on all sides by the chaos, Rogan tumbles into a dark world of kidnapping, prejudice, betrayal and love... a journey that will change her forever, and a journey that will change their world forever, if she does not retrieve the cure.

After I ssw this on amazon for free, I couldn't resist trying out another Samantha Young book! I read Smokeless Fire a few weeks ago and found it entertaining, so I was hoping for the same reaction while reading Slumber. To my surprise, I ended up liking it more than I expected!

Characters
Rogan; an interesting young girl, she knows how to handle herself in alarming situations. She is a fighter, yet vulnerable at times. She wasn't boring, like I thought she would be, instead she was exciting, full of energy and spirit!

Wolfe; Swoon-worthy boy here! There's so much I want to say about this boy!!!!! He was delightful. Moody at times but always has a good reason to be. He does take his job as a protector very seriously, and he can't help but doing his job when he does not need to. He wants to protect everyone, keep everyone, except himself, out of harms way. He is very passionate and can be very kind, but he has some secrets of his own. I was eager to read more about him as soon as he and Rogan set off on their quest.

I don't have much to say about the rest, okay, that's a lie. I have PLENTY to say about the awesome characters that were introduced in this book. I found them all quite intriguing, they all had a story to tell. L, for instance, was a strong and confident young woman. She helped Rogan with her quest when she did not need to. Very generous.

Slumber, wasn't a book that I thought I would read. It was the cover that interested me in the first place, but of course having seen that Samantha Young wrote it was a bonus. I would love to have a real copy of the book to see what the cover is like for real. I must say, all books by Samantha, have beautiful covers! I absolutely love them!

I am now seriously addicted to Samantha Young's books. They are all so easily to get lost in and so easy to enjoy! Samantha also has a very unique writing style, that I really do love. I recommend this to all YA paranormal lovers.

<Read more of my reviews at: (...)>
on 15 April 2013
Came across this after reading On Dublin Street. I didn't know that ODS was Young's first adult novel and as someone who generally reads a lot of YA novels I was intrigues to read some of her other books. As well as being YA this novel differs as it is a fantasy genre whereas ODS is set in real life. I loved the different writing style and found this book really intriguing and original compared to other books on the market. Wouldn't mind seeing a follow up to this to see if the story could develop.
on 3 November 2011
I really loved this book. It was fast paced throughout, full of adventure, excitement, magic, wit and a little romance thrown in - everything you would want and expect from what has been said to be based around the Sleeping Beauty story. I couldn't put it down.
I really loved the main characters Rogan and Wolfe and think that they are the best so far from Samantha Young. I have now read all her books on my kindle and i really enjoy her writing. Slumber was different too the other Samantha Young books that i have read so i was unsure if the story was for me, but i must say that i am glad that i bought it. I finished very quickly and it left me wanting more!
4 people found this helpful
on 12 August 2012
I really liked Slumber, much more than I thought I would. 'Smokeless Fire' is my favourite story by Samantha Young so far, but 'Slumber' is a close cut. The story is fast paced, there's lots of action, and a great love story. Rogan is brilliant, although sometimes I wanted to shake some sense into her and tell her to give that poor Wolfe a break ;-) I know this was supposed to be the start of a trilogy, but I feel it would be best to leave it as a stand alone, it's great on it's own. Well done Samantha! Must be the scottish air that makes you come up with so many engaging stories :) Keep going!(less)
on 13 June 2012
Slumber is a great book, one of those rare books that you just can't stop reading and after it's finished you can't stop thinking about it. It's the first Samantha Young book I've read and I was half way through when I bought all her other books.
I love the way she doesn't sugar coat anything. The setting, the characters, the events, the emotions - everything is very real in this book and little is left to the imagination or readers' own interpretation.
The main character - Rogan - comes alive from the very beginning. She's very well developed as a character and carries the whole book on her shoulders. With the help of her male lead, of course. He's called Wolfe and is the most swoon-worthy character I've read this year.
Honestly, there's nothing bad about this book. I read it in a day and can't wait for the next part.
on 24 May 2012
I loved this book, it's my favourite story by this author. I've read a lot of urban fantasy recently and it was a pleasure to get to a proper fantasy book, and a quest based one too! The story has a lovely feel, with some nice characterisation in. It gave me the same feeling as books by Maria V Synder - high praise! Definitely worth giving it a go. Only downside to the book is - no projected date for a sequel!
on 22 May 2013
I really didn't think I was going to like this book when I started it but I was very pleasantly surprised! I thought I would get lost with all the unusual names and places but it was written so well it was a easy read. Good book looking forward to another one if Samantha does one in this series.
on 26 March 2013
I don't usually read this genre but I couldn't put this book down.it took me away to a fantasy world and characters I fell in love with.As soon as I finished I had to find out if there was
any more books got to wait till 2014 :( .Best 77p I've spent.