Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 January 2012
Bought this book in order to help prepare or the sec + exam. The author writes the subject matter up very well and theres no real hands on knowledge needed which can sometimes make a subject matter extremley dull and boring. This book, so far, has not ( im at page 150 so far ).

This may not be the only reading thats required if your brand new to this game. I've been in IT several years now but have only just found some things out directly from this book.

The author frequents techexams.net and you can post to him via this site ( no its not his, but a general certification site )

The only downside is he could do with an interactive test at the end on a CD or something as flipping through pages can get a bit awkward when taking the test in this book. That should also help your test taking abilities.

Overall, well done DG!
on 21 November 2012
This is from a customer who actually wrote the Security + exam twice! Failed it the first time WITHOUT this book, tried again with Gibson's book and flew thru the exam no problems got my pass. Its simple if you want to really pass, work hard and use this book...its a God send!
on 29 March 2013
If you want to pass the CompTIA Security+ exam, GET THIS BOOK! It's as simple as that. A week before purchasing this book I was reviewing my CV and realised I needed some formal qualifications. As I have a "curious" interest in IT security as part of my job I took the decison to go down the security route. I have a background in software development so wanted to diversify from that. After a search on Amazon and looking at the reviews, this book kept catching my eye so clicked the buy button and headed over to my Kindle.
I worked my way through the book in a methodical way, which was easy as the book is so well laid out and easy to follow. Took the tests at the end of each chapter and kept score as I went through. Grading myself as I went. The final practice exam at the end brings it all together and gives you a good idea of what your weaknesses are that you need to focus on.
As mentioned the book is well laid out, is easy to follow and understand. There are a few minor mistakes that are highlighted in the errata on the authors website. There does seem to be a few small sections in the book that appear to have been written by someone else that may have been working with the author on the book as they didn't come across in quite the same manner as the bulk of the book. You will notice these but it is only a small critsism.
NOTE: The book says the CompTIA Security+ Exam is 100 multi choice questions, it's not, it's now 91 questions, some of which are interactive simulator questions. So I would suggest downloading some practice simulator questions.
All in all a very, very good book. I purchased this book 12 Mar 2013, read it and then passed my CompTIA Security+ exam first time on 27 Mar 2013, I put this success in a big part down to this book.
Next stop CASP :-)
on 18 September 2012
I passed the exam yesterday and I owe it to this great book. You do need some networking experience to get the most out of the book (and to pass the exam.) You can tell that the author has a real passion for his subject and because of that is able to clearly explain concepts and relate them to real life-a skill I really wish more technical writers had. Highly recommended!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 September 2013
Superb book.
It's so good, that you'll become excited to read it. Excellent use of questions, and its memory reinforcing.. so that you come away having learnt a lot. The point is this - he makes you learn and remember the topics, which is worth it's weight in gold.
I'm delighted with it - a hard thing to say for a "Certification" book.

**Update June 2014.
Still regularly read this book. It's great for interviews, and technical tests.
The explanations are still legendary.
on 7 April 2010
I don't read much in general, and I had already to read a couple of IT books in order to study for certifications,
but this one is so far the best i've read. Easy to read. not as dull as the other books I had, but still contains all the Exam Objectives for Security+. Practice Exams, End-of-topic tests WITH explanations for the right AND WRONG answers, which wasn't the case in the other books! If there are more books from this author available, and suitable for my next certification, I would by them.

I can highly recommend!
on 27 August 2013
I used this book as my sole study guide for the Security + Exam. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Darril's explanations of complex security aspects. It even made me chuckle a few times. I read each chapter, summarized all the points I needed to know and wrote them into a separate book. I then did the chapter questions and marked right or wrong redoing the ones I got wrong. All in all i spent 2 months studying using this book start to finish.This along with Comptias offical sample questions was enough to pass.

Highly recommended , Make that ESSENTIAL to anyone considering taking the Security + exam
on 16 September 2012
The book takes you at a steady pace, through the subject matter. Prior network knowledge is, I would say recommended.
So does the book recommend, prior knowledge of network terminology.
I would recommend the book as part of your studies for this exam.
I have the kindle version which is very easy to read on my kindle, iPad, pc or Mac.
on 13 January 2015
I feel a little humble writing this review, the knowledgeable Darril targets his work well to the audience, I feel confident that if I pay attention and follow his advice closely, I will pass the exam. (and add to my professional knowledge and skills.)
on 31 August 2013
This is a great book for the security plus certification. Explains everything very well and as you go through the book it revisits earlier areas which is a good way to help you remember the content. I would highly recommend this book. I have not taken my exam yet but confident with this book I will pass it.