Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 June 2011
I have to confess to a slight bias when reviewing 'Triumph of the Lentil' - I was actually one of the taste-testers for its recipes. Although that could be considered a useful bias, as it means I can personally attest to the utter deliciousness of the book's contents.

The book is well designed, and it's very easy to find quick recipes (under 45 minutes) and dishes for special diets (e.g. gluten-free, low fat). The index is organised by ingredients - very handy if you want to use a particular vegetable or legume.

As for the dishes themselves, well, my own personal favourite is the 'steak' with onion and pepper gravy, a delicious savoury feast I will never tire of, and which satisfies the cravings for meat I still occasionally feel since going vegan (I'm sure there are other vegans who will know what I mean).

I also love the parmagiana, the burgers with the lot, cheeseburgers, lentil and mushroom pie, lasagne, pierogi, pakoras, austrian jam biscuits, oat and cinnamon biscuits, chocolate self-saucing pudding, doughnuts and many others. They're so good that it's hard to see why anyone would want to go back to eating meat/dairy after reading this book!

Best of all, the recipes are hearty and filling enough to satisfy anyone - a far cry from the skimpy rabbit food that some people (wrongly) associate with a vegan diet. The vast majority of the recipes are also practical and easy for busy people to make, with photos included for nearly every dish.

The book lets the recipes speak for themselves, with no moralistic lecturing on why you need to eat a particular way.

I highly recommend it!
on 5 July 2016
The title is odd and reminiscent of the title of another piece of propaganda. Ahem. This "propaganda" (in the sense of information) is an enjoyable read. Very colorful. The recipes are tempting for those who like pulses and dabble in healthy cooking. Why the cover photo was chosen I don't know - it looks very blan d compared to the rest of the book. I would definitely recommend it. In summary: odd choice of title, odd choice of cover photo, very eccentric cookbook, hugely enjoyable for those who like pulses and co.
on 10 February 2013
I'm not vegan but dairy intolerant so I only really bought this for the pudding and cakes section. Last night I made the chocolate caramel torte thing and it was delicious. I look forward to making the other puddings.

With regard to the non-dessert recipes, I have tried making the refried enchiladas and they are amazing. I think I would choose them over the chicken enchiladas that I would normally make and even my lentil/pulse phobic husband couldn't believe how good it tasted (although he cheated and grated real cheese on his food as I was too lazy to make the recommended vegan cheese recipe).
on 5 February 2013
I got it as a gift (although I did ask for it), and all I can say is it is wonderful. Check Hilda's new book as well, High Protein Vegan. All recipes are easy to follow, loaded with great ingredients, fulfilling, and very tasty. What else can one ask for? Oh, yes, Hilda doesn't use animal-derived ingredients, so it will suit vegans as well as curious ones :)
on 31 December 2012
A book that tells you how to cook various different dishes using Lentils. The title sort of gives it away slightly. Ideal for vegans.
on 26 June 2016
Great book, lots of recipes to try.