on 2 January 2018
Highly recommend this self help book for anyone interested in practical application of mindfulness technique. Especially useful for people who cannot access a suitable mindfulness course. Its not as good as attending a class but its a comprehensive, very practical and an enjoyable read. The workbook follows the standard 8 week mindfulness programme. Providing session by session information and instruction with audio guidance for the main practices e.g Body scan mindful movement and sitting meditation. The authors are highly respected in the field, having adapted Jon Kabat Zinns mindfulness stress reduction programme (MBSR) and incorporated CBT for depression called Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) which is NHS treatment option for relapse prevention of clinical depression. Research (randomised control studies) indicate mindfulness is effective but only if we have a disciplined practice. This is not always easy to achieve especially without support. But this workbook is certainly a step in the right direction for those who want to practice mindfulness rather than just read about it. Hope this review is helpful. Good health to you.
5 people found this helpful
on 11 January 2018
I think books like this need to define what they mean by 'your experience' as newcomers may not be aware. It refers to the INTERNAL experience: thoughts, feelings, sensations, etc.

I am also not sure that attempts at demarcating the driven-doing mode from the doing mode takes us very far and it isn't very well-defined, either.

The book also says that 'rumination turns to do the doing mode to fix sadness...' but I think the better view is that rumination is a product of the doing mode.

On p134 the book also uses the example of someone being mistreated and says that we don't have to allow that, when we talk of allowing things to be as they are, we are talking about emotions. I wholly disagree. In mindfulness we accept EVERYTHING. This means that we see things as they are and accept that they are as they are. With thoughts and emotions we don't try to change them. But we most certainly CAN work to change external world. The authors would have been more accurate saying that we don't have to tolerate being mistreated.

These are small points but I think books for people new to the discipline need to be spot-on else people can become despondent if things don't make perfect sense. This is how I felt when I took up mindfulness, anyway. And it can be esoteric at times and things like this don't help.
6 people found this helpful
on 18 October 2017
Having already done a weekly course following the John Kabet-Zen method, I wasn't sure I'd like this, but in fact I preferred it. It's good to be able to read over instructions rather than trying to remember what has been said from week to week. I also much preferred the audio tapes to Kabet-Zen's.I found the book really enjoyable, though I was glad I had done the original course as it gave me the foundation and confidence to continue on my own. That said, the book is very clear and there is no need for prior knowledge of mindfulness.
6 people found this helpful
on 5 September 2017
A really great, user friendly, helpful book. Especially good if you suffer from depression. Not so keen on the CD that comes with the book - the content is fine but the speed is a little too fast/ too much talking for my liking on the body scan - I used Jon Kabat Zinn's body scan instead. This was the book and CD used to support the 8 week mindfulness course I recently completed.
5 people found this helpful
on 7 September 2016
I can't recommend this book highly enough. Nice plain English, useful exercises and a structured programme to work through. I was having a very difficult time several months ago and I credit this book with helping me then things around. Only downside is a few too many exclamation marks, but I won't hold that against the authors as its just a pet peeve of mine.
3 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 5 June 2017
This i an excellent introduction into building a mindfulness practise into your life.
The reader is taken on a logical progression through exercises, anecdotes and most importantly, accompanying meditations.
I found the audio content particularly engaging and highly recommend that people also check out John Teasdale's other content on mindful org.
4 people found this helpful
on 4 June 2014
I would recommend that for any practitioner/therapist who wants to add further information and research to their competencies, knowledge, and skills, read and use this workbook, its gives more in depth research and outlines to the practice of Mindfulness.
10 people found this helpful
on 17 December 2016
Fantastic book for anyone who is aware of Mindfullness.
I really love the entire concept of this - too many people rush around, worrying about the past or future.
Mindfullness is all about living in the moment.
This is a work book, with a free cd. Go through the work book, making notes then go through it again.
Having done the Mindfullness courses, I still found this book useful.
2 people found this helpful
on 27 November 2016
I read this book after I had a course based on the book "Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world" by Mark Williams and Danny Penman. I cannot recommend enough: this book made me deeply understand various mindfulness concepts. The book helps in keeping a schedule for the practice and address various questions that arise throughout the course of the 8-week program.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 January 2016
This seems at first to be a wee bit airy fairy. However as you work your way through. You can on reflection begin to see the value in previous sections and how almost without you really noting it you have begun to apply some of the techniques. I will be going through it at least one more time.
3 people found this helpful