on 24 April 2018
excellent
on 13 August 2012
This Second Edition is fantastic! It reiterates with force many fundamental insights the author shares in his other recently published books, like Pocket guide, Mindsight or Mindful Therapist.

But this is not a repeat - rather, it is a new presentation, fruit of the consecutive learning loops turning incubation into mature fruit!!

The book offers more than an updated reference framework in the area of interpersonal neurobiology. The author walks his talk by creating a relationship or entering into an energy and information process with the reader, so that by reading the book you are not just picking up bits of information... In fact, you are participating in the process in which you build new knowledge into your system, experiencing the most fundamental promise of the Daniel Siegel's discipline: the changing of your brain though focusing your attention on the novelty carried by the author's message.

Clear language, consistent and coherent presentation style - all this makes a read even more satisfying and enriching experience, even if you are not a native speaker of English (like me). Must have. Brilliant writing.
13 people found this helpful
on 19 September 2012
I'm still working my way through this book as it's quite deep and I'm not really up to understanding it all. I like it's thoroughness (is that the correct word?) and while I may not be able to follow all the reasoning, I like to know the end result, which anyone can follow. It's a book you can really get your teeth into.
3 people found this helpful
on 15 January 2017
I'm impressed.

I am a parent with an interest in psychology. I am reading this a follow on to The Whole Brain Child, which is much more easily digestible but left me wanting more detail. I'm getting that detail in The Developing Mind. It's not an easy read but it's not easy subject matter. It's really helping me gain insight into myself and changing the way I parent.

My only regret is not buying on kindle. I usually buy non-fiction in paperback, just in case there are illustrations and so I can lend it to like minded friends at a later date. Im half way through and so far I've only come across two basic illustrations; it weighs a lot and has lots of new vocabulary which would have been easier to look up on kindle. Making notes is easier in kindle too.
One person found this helpful
on 2 August 2016
Good book.
on 20 July 2017
very good resource
on 17 December 2017
Arrived as advertised. Packaged appropriately
on 13 February 2016
Really good and accessible book.
on 22 May 2011
The hardback and paperback editions of this book have different subtitles:

Paperback: "How relationships and the brain interact to shape who we are"

Hardback: "Towards a neurobiology of interpersonal experience"

These subtitles tell you a lot more about the book than the title does alone. It's not really about developmental psychology, it's about relationships between people and how these affect the functioning of the brain. The hardback's subtitle also makes it clear that this book uses a lot of big words.

So what do relationships have to do with anything? Siegel gives us a detailed introduction to research into what psychologists call "attachment" and (to quote Alison Gopnik) everyone else calls "love". Siegel makes the point that secure attachment requires good two-way emotional communication between child and caregiver, and discusses the impact that attachment relationships have on children's emotions and their capacity to regulate their own emotions. Emotion, Siegel explains, is central to everything the brain does, and the brain's ability to regulate and respond flexibly to its own emotions is an important part of proper mental functioning.

The great strength of this book is the way that it integrates seemingly quite different things (memory, emotions, relationships, self-regulation, and a hefty dose of neurobiology) and does it in a way that makes sense. It is not an easy read, but it is well worth it.
18 people found this helpful
on 13 February 2015
Wonderful book.
Things to consider when reading my review: 1) English is my 2nd language, 2) I am new to neuroscience, 3) Am a beginner counsellor (diploma in counselling), 4) am a parent

I think that D. Siegel made a wonderful work of making complex content of this book readable for people like me. It wasnt an easy read and I was checking many of words in the dictionary (likely it is easy with a Kindle version). I bought this book from my interest as a parent and a beginner counsellor. I found that this book would be useful if I needed in depth insight (not saying knowledge, but just an insight) into neuroscience. For my purpose a book of D. Siegel's associate Bonne Badenoch - Being a brain-wise therapist was easier to digest and more relevant. Overall, very gripping read of just how advanced science is today and what amazing facts they are now able to back up with scientific research as opposed to just theories.
4 people found this helpful