Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 August 2016
A swashbuckling tale of The British Empire and the power of words, written at the very beginnings of their greatest exploitation.
on 9 August 2016
great!
on 19 June 2016
The erratic layout of this book made it very difficult to read, with numbers inserted all over the place, no act breakdowns and jumping between Roman numerals and numbers . The illustrations don't appear to have any significance to the story, all being grainy pictures of old men dying in their beds! I cannot stress it enough - do not buy this book.
on 22 May 2016
My version of this from this company didn't come- I ordered it but they sent me a different book. I emailed them to remedy this but nothing was done- in short don't buy from this company!!!! As for the actual story though I will say this: My mum bought me a secondhand version of this classic play so I could use it for my A2 level exam in college. I had to read it for that exam, but while I was only mildly intrigued at first, I found that I did actually enjoy it. There are many themes explored and while there are some fantastical characters, (for example: Ariel the spirit) there are some very human themes and characteristics that make the play powerful and relatable. As a classic Shakespeare play, and his last as far as we know, it is easy to compare the character of Prospero to Shakespeare himself, especially in the last scene. The key themes deal with: usurpation, loss, power, love, knowledge, magic and treachery among others. There are many ways to read this play and many ways to relate to it. Honestly, I found the female character, Miranda to be headstrong and a typical renaissance daughter- which made her whiny and constantly bowing to the man's will. She is also very naive and infuriating when it comes to her love for Ferdinand.
My favourite characters were Prospero and Ariel- Ariel being sweet and challenging Prospero to think about his morality and humanity and doing as he is told, having been saved by Prospero so owing him something in return- servitude. Prospero is a god-like figure, manipulating fate of those he wishes to exact revenge upon. The ending to the play is touching and may leave one with a renewed faith in human nature, though some may disagree and say it is a bit of a cop-out.
As for reading level, I would say this is a pretty hard read if you get it in the original Early Modern English version as, if you aren't used to it, it can be pretty difficult to understand. However if you get it in the Late Modern English version, it will be easier- but nowhere near as beautiful or poetic.
The main thing I took from this play is tempering every choice I make with morality, as wild justice is for those who wish to harm others but only end up injuring themselves.
It really makes you think about what is important and how life is- is it pre-ordained? Are out actions being controlled? Or do we truly have free-will (for lack of better terms)?
The structure is easy to follow as it all happens in one base setting- on an island- and happens within a few short hours. There are only five scenes, so it is not a particularly long play, which makes it a nice one to introduce you to the world of Shakespearian literature, should you be so inclined to explore it.
Would reccommend to boost reading skills, broaden your horizons on the classics and even if you don't need to read it as part of an English syllabus, for the touching, lyrical moments that will make you question humanity.
on 6 May 2016
One of my favourite plays, can't argue with the price, perfect condition. What more could you ask for?
on 21 April 2016
The Tempest was Shakespeare’s final play, and it follows the story of Milanese duke Prospero and his daughter, Miranda, as they’re cast out to sea and as they subsequently make their home in a new land. At least, that’s what I gathered – with Shakespeare, it can be pretty hard to follow the plot, and I found myself focussing more on the language itself than on the meaning of it whilst reading this. That said, I still enjoyed it a lot, especially because my copy was used and someone had scribbled notes on it.
on 13 April 2016
Bought for A Level English.
on 7 April 2016
Exactly what it says on the tin
on 24 March 2016
Love york note style books
on 14 March 2016