on 8 July 2015
Well if the revie title sounds like Buffy the vampire slayer, the book is even better, even without the vampires!
I was so intrigued by the plot, I got it free, then so wrapped up in the storyline I've seen and bought several books to read later...
Twists, not so many, plot problems, only a couple, thinkers - plenty! If you like easy to read, compelling page turners, try this.
I was so taken with book 1, I've immediately bought (real money) book 2! That's saying something for an old tightwad like me... Definitely worth a trawl through Jacob's world, love, loss, gain, lessons, something for all emotions in my opinion.
on 4 March 2015
Well I really must say this book was a fantastic experience,never read such a good well written story. Special when you read about God, Adam and Eve, myself I believe in good and evil and sometimes it is not easy to to the right or wrong thing. The story will give you actually a very good insight in the Bible, well of course interpretation and there are many, but you will be surprised how goodbye story is, it fits all together very well. It will keep you awake because you don't want to stop reading.
I think I will get the second book as well and look forward to get another great story.
on 5 May 2015
I really wasn't sure about this book but I enjoy this type of thing where apparently ordinary people, in this case teenagers, discover superpowers. It's a take on the powers of good, God, against evil ,the devil, there's a few books though and it became a little stale. China's descriptions and plot teased enough to keep me reading and ordering the second book. The main characters were teenagers drawn together by their differences initially . It's also a story about faith, friendship and loyalty.
on 28 March 2013
I downloaded this coming of age story as a Kindle free book on the recommendation of my daughter. I don't regret it at all.

Jacob Lau is 15 and facing all the usual trials and tribulations of teenage life when his world is turned upside-down by an accident which lands him in hospital unable to remember clearly what happened to his mother who has disappeared without a trace.

He is taken in by his closest relatives - an uncle, aunt and cousin about whom he knew nothing and moves from Hawaii to small-town Paris, Illinois.

Life will never be the same again.

His cousin resents him.
He makes more enemies than friends at school.
He hates being trapped in this life when he wants to be looking for his mother.

Following a meltdown, he finds himself working for the mysterious Dr Silva and his life takes a completely unexpected turn. He finds himself embroiled in a battle between good and evil... who will win?

This is an amazing, contemporary allegory, well written and gripping. As soon as I had finished it I bought the second and third books of the series.

Read it!
on 31 August 2016
This was such a great change from the usual novels available. Yes, it was a bit unrealistic, but it was a captivating read. The forces of good and evil are everywhere and woven into this story make fascinating reading. I can really see it being made into another Harry Potter epic. The characters are believable with a gentle story behind them. Special effects on this story could make it a blockbuster. Can't wait for the next in the series.
on 16 February 2018
the book is realy well paced and it is a really good choice if you are into percy jackson or warrior cats ect. the only critisisim is that an angel keep on absorbing attacks from "demons" and it's a bit like yoda absorbing count doku's force lighting over and over again. ( is count DOKU spelt correctly? )

I think there will be a lot of mixed cotoversy to that last statement.
on 26 July 2014
Even though the cover put me off, I downloaded this as it was free. I didn't know what to expect but by the first chapter I was hooked. The writing is excellent and the story concept, although done in similar ways by other writers is a new take and thoroughly enjoyable. I shall certainly be getting the rest in the series and if it is ever made into a film, I believe the rights have been bought, then I shall be seeing it on the big screen too! Would recommend this to those who love YA, fantasy, magic, paranormal and stories of good versus evil.
on 7 April 2013
I wanted to give this a higher rating, but there were too many aspects which were not up to scratch. The fact that Im saying that points to the quality of some other portions, which were great, but there was too much filler.

The imagery was muddled, as if the author wanted to pin some colours to the mast, but felt too inhibited to do so. If you want to be all encompassing, don't major on the quasi-Christian theme. If you want to follow a Christian line, a la CS Lewis, then don't mingle too much else with it.

Not too bad though, by all means take a look, but take a spin through the reviews first to see if it will be your cup of tea.
on 10 November 2013
Although I feel this is more for the younger reader, teens, there are some very deep ideas about the nature of Good and Evil, and the fight between those two aspects in the human soul. It did start off reminding me of the Buffy stories but eventually veered off at an extreme tangent. I liked the use of the Land of Nod and how it is ruled by the Fallen Angels. In some ways they are a bit like the Chaos Gods of Moorcock. They can do anything but soon get bored and become very petty. Highly recommended and I look forward to reading further novels in the series despite the Buffy flavour.
on 3 June 2013
The story centres around Joseph Lau or Laudner. When his mother disapears he has to move with his estranged aunt and uncle who he has never met. On paper the story seemed really good, but you find the story moves so slowly and you're into chapter 5 or 6 before anything really happens.

There is alot of 'God's will be done' in the story and I just think it didn't need to be there. I would have liked the pace to be a bit quicker and to get into the book rather that it be a chore to get through. I honestly didn't finish the story and about half way through gave up. 3 out of 5 im afraid.