Customer reviews

Signs of (a) Life
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 July 2017
I'm a similar age to Liam, grew up in the 1970s in an Industrial Town, albeit in Wales and oddly pursued the same profession as he did in the same City. Although Liam mentions that all of the stories happened to him apart from one, that I'm not the person within that story (honestly it really isn't me).

This book brought back many memories for me of a very similar nature. It is filled with tales of a man reflecting back on 50 years of his life - a life clearly lived with humour, bad cars, copious amounts of alcohol (for medicinal purposes your honour), painful shyness and a fear of heights.

One Chapter stands out head and shoulders above the others and I defy anyone not to be moved to tears. It ranks as possibly one of the most poignant pieces of writing I have ever read, made all the more emotional due to the fact that I know the author.

A wonderful book, well worth the price and I look forward to further works (and I know there are far more tales contained within Liam) in the future.
on 30 April 2017
Laugh? I almost did...

Seriously, a very funny book. Apart from the bits where it's not meant to be funny. At least, I hoped I laughed in the right places. And cried in the bits that were sad bits. Maybe I'll never know.

Liam's childhood experiences sound very much like my own: brought up in a pleasant little seaside suburban town, being unfortunately bright enough to go to the all boys grammar school and thus missing out on any interaction with the opposite sex (although at least Liam didn't have one older and two younger sisters - twins at that - too deal with). Although I think I beat him in the shy/sensitive/antisocial stakes: while Liam was at least taking part in extracurricular rugby matches, I was sat in my room reading Marvel comics. And while he was experiencing his first awkward encounters with the local girl at the bus stop, I was sat in my room reading Marvel comics. And when he was a wet behind the ears bobby on the beat in dullest suburbia, I was sat in my room reading Marvel comics and smoking crack cocaine... or down the pub, most likely. Yeah, it was down the pub, I'm sure - I never did smoke crack...

Oh, sorry, I was meant to be reviewing the book... Buy this book! Buy it now! Don't think twice! Get it on Kindle coz it's a bargain at a couple of quid! You'll cry with laughter! You'll wince with recognition! You'll feel vaguely nauseous during the sex scenes! You realize that fart gags are STILL funny, even as an adult!

Laugh?

I did.
on 21 December 2015
I have had the pleasure of knowing Liam for about 15 years and can relate to many of his stories. It is surprising how, when reading about someone else's life, so much of your own life comes flooding back. A good read for anyone who likes to laugh and to smile during times of reflection.
on 17 October 2015
He's certainly got a wonderful imagination, read this book in a few days, as didn't want to put it down. Got lots of funny looks in cafe's as burst out laughing often, and could relate some of his experiences too.
A brilliant read, which had me welling up also.
on 17 October 2015
A well written book charting a variety of situations in Liam's life. An excellent laugh out loud first book from an up and coming author.
on 19 September 2015
A very open,honest and funny account of the life and thoughts of a fifty something who still feels he is younger than his body allows
on 10 September 2015
Hilarious, tears of laughter throughout. Although at the end of the book I defy anyone not to shed tears for the author and his father. An excellent read, not to be missed.
on 16 August 2015
A brutally honest account of the authors sometimes traumatic, and often hilarious, life experiences, told as he rushes headlong towards his big half century anniversary. Buy this book! It will make you both laugh and cry as he lays out his heart soul for you to enjoy