Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 August 2017
Superb for all ages
These set of books have been a joy to read. They are a collection of fairy tales from all over the world some well known and some I have never heard of.

This one in particular has a lot of stories in it taken from the Mabinogion which is a famous and ancient book about Welsh Fairy Tales and can also be bought as a stand alone for Kindle too.

Again, some of the stories will be familiar even if slightly altered from what 'we' know but in the main I believe many of the tales will be unknown to most people.

I highly recommend purchasing the entire set of these books but do warn you that some are replicated. Great for children to read or to be read to and also for 'older children' as well.
on 8 June 2009
This book WAS written in a different age - that's what makes it so interesting. These fairy stories are not sugar-coated, and don't comply with the girly fairy image; they are gritty, moral adventure stories with a magical twist, and therefore much more satisfying.

I grew up on these, and the Ruth Manning Sanders books, as did many thousands of children, and the whole range are now collectors items. Definitely worth reading, but not to the very young.
on 27 March 2014
I remember some of these from childhood, but I also remember the illustrations from the fairy books- (there are many different colours) and I wish every school had copies of every book and referred to them now and again. I know we live in the real world but these legends have come from all over the world and are magical and exciting and colourful. They are the kind of stories every mother and teacher should know to pass on to different generations to keep them alive.
As a student teacher many years ago a small child in Broadwater farm begged me to read him a story again having read the whole to a class of five to seven year olds whose faces lit up with delight at being read to. He was an 10 year old coloured boy wearing a house key around his neck, and all he wanted was a dream- a fairy tale.
It is important to have dreams
on 4 June 2014
The Andrew Lang original coloured fairy books are brilliant. As I bought this as a present for a friend in another country I haven't seen the version they received but as far as the stories go (and the illustrations if they're the ones from the original books) I have read and re-read these and the ones from the other colour books happily for years. Whether you read them as bedtime stories to others or yourself for a quick read before bed I can't recommend them highly enough. My friend's children at 10 and 12 still love them as much as they did at 4 years ago.
on 16 August 2014
I have the whole set! Read them as a child in the 50's and as books they are collectors' items today.
Now I have them in my handbag - great for short bus journeys!
on 14 April 2013
This was not as good as The Crimson Fairy Book. More tales from china and japan with not so many from europe.