on 22 July 2013
As a psychologist, I am really interested in profiling. This woman is a self confessed , self taught 'profiler'. As said in other reviews, you realise halfway through the book that this woman has not solved a single case. The police, families and other profilers dismiss her amateur attempt at profiling in each of the awful 14 chapters. I imagine that the author is self absorbed enough to read her Amazon reviews so I hope that she gets a wake up call soon. The way she conducts herself with the families of victims and other, actual professionals in this field is a disgrace. In some cases, her interference could even be hindering the criminal case discussed! I came away from reading this book angry about the lack of professionalism and boastful self importance expressed by the author on every page.
on 1 December 2015
Pat Brown is a fraud. I like many others bought this book under the illusion of getting an insight into the job of a profiler. The techniques. Maybe a case or two being unravelled before my eyes using those techniques. But alas I wasted my money and time. This is amateur hour at its best. As other reviews have mentioned she is self thought, but the book is disjointed. Doesn't flow properly. Feels more like an ego boost then anything else. If anyone is interested in profiling then look up the former FBI special agent John Douglas. The man behind the FBI version of the tv series criminal minds. Now this man knows his stuff. Pat Brown I dare say is a fraud.
on 16 March 2017
A load of utter tosh . Do NOT waste your money on this book .It is nothing but a a pile of self serving waffle by a woman trying to give the impression that she is some sort of super-sleuth . She isn't . She simply forms opinions , just like you or any Joe Blow on the street , and then dresses her opinion up as fact and truth without any basis in actual reality .
Frankly she is deluded and thank heavens this book was gifted to me because had I paid actual money for the opportunity to read the fantasies of a wannabe Olivia Benson I'd be kicking myself right now .
I binned it. I wouldn't even donate it to a charity shop and cause someone else to be disappointed by the content, or lack of .
Do not buy . That is all
on 14 July 2010
As I found myself reading past the mid-way point in this book I began to wonder if it had been written specifically in order to be the first in a series. I just could not understand why someone who had gone to so much effort to work in the field of criminal profiling would present only cases which did not seem to end with her being able to help. After finishing the book I'm still shaking my head. With the exception of two cases which had already been classified as suicide by law enforcement and subsequently deemed suicides by Ms Brown, all other cases mentioned here show that her efforts made absolutely no difference in any of the cases. The opinion of Ms Brown is that either political pressure, law enforcement or family members were not willing to accept her conclusions. My own personal opinion is that she carried out her investigation, stated who she thought she felt needed to be investigated and then moved on when nothing was done. Because of the resistance of someone to re-open a case, she had no other choice.

This is really quite an interesting book, although not so much from the profiling standpoint. I have no idea how much of the narrative was written by Ms Brown and how much by Bob Andelman, but I can tell you I found myself thoroughly confused by the "voice" within this book. Perhaps that is because it is so completely the natural result of the way Ms Brown actually speaks that you need to know her to keep her thoughts clear? I also found quite a few technical reasons to be confused, such as: 1.) Why were all the cases used as examples of her profiling so old? I can certainly understand including the first case she ever worked as a "profiler", and even the instances recounted of the lodger in her home, but not why the others were included. Has she not done more recent cases than the late 1990's? 2.) How was she able to quote entire conversations with people she interviewed? If some recording, either video or audio, had been made during these investigations that information should have been noted. How can someone remember a conversation they had with a specific person in 1997 or 1999? Were these conversations fictionalized accounts? 3.) Providing her services pro bono to families is a laudable thing for Ms Brown to do but it does beg the question of where the money comes from for her to do these investigations. Just a simple explanation regarding that subject would have helped a lot. I realize she is a frequent guest on television shows and is classified there an an "expert". Is this the source of her income? And finally, 4.) Why did she seem to try to force cases into the pigeon holes of serial killer and sexual attack because, by her own story, those things were not always proven or even suspected? What made her think that each crime she investigated was an example of a serial killer? Does she only investigate serial killer cases?

My overall feeling when I finished reading this book was that this "profiler" didn't seem to have much more going for her than the ability to organize information and then draw conclusions from that information. I never understood why she always felt that her conclusion must be the one and only correct conclusion. It is entirely my own personal opinion that she really did come across as very arrogant and not a sympathetic character. I applaud her desire to do something very specific to address problems in the criminal justice system which definitely need to be changed. Yet then she turned around and told the readers about a scheme she and a sheriff cooked up to convince the person she had designated the perpetrator of a crime to confess to a lesser charge so they could go to court against him. She was actually surprised when a prosecutor didn't chose to jump on this opportunity. So, does that mean that getting her profiled choice tried was worth any action she had to take?

The final chapter was used as an opportunity for Ms Brown to explain that it didn't matter how she had come to be a profiler, just that she had gotten there. Did that mean that critics have used her time of being a stay at home mother who home schooled her children as negatives? If so, that should have been explained because as it is, that whole chapter makes it sound as if she is making excuses for why it took her so long to become a profiler.

This book left me with too many questions and it didn't leave me with a very positive impression of this person's abilities.
on 24 November 2013
I pretty much felt cheated by the time I'd finished the book. Whilst the title and synopsis sounded genuinely interesting, the actual content of the book is one big let down. Like some other reviewers I also was amazed that the efforts of Mrs Brown made absolutely no difference to any of the cases she describes. To that end I wondered what the point was of her even writing the book! Given that she is a self taught profiler, I honestly expected some sort of payoff to all her hard work, but there isn't any. I can only assume this book and the author's TV appearences cover the cost of all her result-free (from a conviction point of view) profiling.
VINE VOICEon 7 August 2010
I found this a very odd book. The "science" of profiling fascinates me. If it is possible to focus investigations by identifying likely characteristics of the criminal then that must be worthwhile. But the limitations have to be recognized too. A profile is not evidence, it is an investigative tool. It seems most likely to be of benefit in cases of serial killers.

The problem with Pat Brown's book is that there is virtually no profiling in it. What she actually recounts in most of the cases is her investigation or reconstruction of the crime. This may have value (though since none of the cases she relates have been solved the value is limited) but it is not profiling as I would understand it.

So if you are looking for an insight into profiling methods and their use you won't find it here.

Having said that the book does have some interesting cases and her investigative methods seem reasonably good. She is also correct to point out that investigators can easily latch on to a suspect or theory and then focus on facts and evidence which supports that. So it is an interesting read but not for the right reason.
on 8 June 2011
SPOILERS ALERT

I was given this book by a friend of mine - they hadn't read it yet but thought I might find it interesting.

Initially it reads well, if a little boastful ...and then it dawns on you about halfway through that actually Pat Brown hasn't actually solved a case ...and she's not qualified in profiling ...or experienced in profiling.

In fact if you look at the book objectively she's a delusional media-savvy self-publicist; an American Hetty Wainthropp if you like. The exception being that Hetty Wainthropp actually solved crimes ...whereas Pat Brown just casts aspersions about people (actually naming names).

At the end of this book, I was genuinely angry with Mrs Brown. If you are of a mindto read this anyway, let me save you some time.

"I am right. I trained myself by reading books. The police/FBI are fools. I know everything ...but I've never actually been involved in a case that has been solved."

There you go - I just saved you £[] and a lot of hours.
on 7 December 2011
I found the book fascinating and although I will not be beginning a career as a criminal profiler anytime soon the book will leave you with utmost respect for those that are able to crack the seemingly 'uncrackable' case.