on 28 May 2016
Very informative book with useful insights into configuration.
on 21 July 2014
very usefull book on how to manage documents & data in product development processes, although I am not sure yet if I agree with all principles that this book promotes
on 12 March 2012
If you're looking for an out-of-the-box one-size-fits-all how-to-do-it book on Configuration Management - this isn't it!
Nor is it the right book for anyone wanting a management overview.
But if you are involved in Document Control / Configuration Management in some way, recognise the need to improve but aren't sure quite how (even in some small areas), and are prepared to have your own thinking challenged (and also prepared to challenge the author in places) - then this is for you.
It is well structured and written in an approachable manner, with good clarity between the 'golden rules' that the author strongly suggests are adopted, and areas where he encourages the reader to develop their own rules based on suggested criteria that will depend on the particular product and/or organisation.
For anyone considering the CMII model for Configuration Management, this book is a good partner providing more a more practical 'how-to' approach to underpin the CMII theory.
For the UK reader, it is a bit 'Americanised' - which is OK as long as you recognise it and can read around and interpret accordingly. This prevents it getting 5 stars from me.
You could hire a CM consultant to help you develop your company's Configuration Management processes - the price of this book is probably less than for 1 hour of their time. I'd use the content of the book to help me choose my consultant, if I still needed one!
3 people found this helpful
on 21 May 2009
I am a British Chartered Engineer working mainly in Blue Chip energy-related companies. I have just started using this book in my work and find it strongly re-enforces my passion for excellent documentation and design management. It is clearly the current 'bible' for Engineering Documentation Control and is extremely valuable in showing how to climb the 'Configuration Management Ladder' (page 8). It cuts away the dross and complexity that is plentiful nearly everywhere else. So many of us technologists and managers are struggling with hugely powerful new computer packages that integrate most processes in our companies. This is one of the very few books to chart our course and give us a chance of a reliable way through to simplicity, speed and profitability that are so often promissed but so rarely fully attained.