Customer reviews

on 19 April 2018
I started reading about Hamish Macbeth after I had read all of the Agatha Raisin books. He is as annoyingly addictive as she. Quick and easy read mysteries although I have to say I prefer the books in the beginning of the series and feel that some of the later storylines are clutching at straws and a bit second rate as far as storylines go but I have got quite fond of the characters and will continue to read as and when a new book comes out which the author is probably banking on.
on 19 November 2012
This is the third Hamish in the series and a good one at that. In this story there is a ficticious village in the Highlands called Cnothan that is far from the ideal village. It is full of rude and anti-social ignorant villagers who shun newcomers (especially English) and are most unapproachable people. It is not a very picturesque village that would make you want to visit which Hamish has been seconded to (and absolutely hates) whilst covering for the local bobby who's on holiday.

Here is Mr Mainwaring, an Englishman who takes it upon himself to interfere in other people's lives by offering his opinion, telling people what to do and basically being obnoxious. Well you can imagine why he becomes a murder victim. Lots of possible suspects and not necessarily easy to spot the murderer until it is unveiled to you by Hamish who again managed to steal his Boss Blair's thunder.

Very good book where you find that not all Scottish Highland villages are ideal.
on 16 July 2014
I've been reading these in order, so this is the third of the series.
This was my favourite so far; whether this is because I know the characters a little more or just because the plot is an especially good one with some nice twists along the way, I'm not sure - I think it's the latter.
In this book Hamish is forced to cover for a policeman in another area, Cnothan, a place where you're the new arrival for many years, and without many friendly faces. It works well, and could easily be read in its own right without having read the prior two books in the series. Another gentle and easy read, but a page turner to boot - a perfect relaxation novel.
on 3 December 2015
Hamish Macbeth is out of his comfort zone in the bleak town of Gnothan. Here he again makes his mark by managing to upset some folk, attract others and eventually finds the inevitable body - this time a skeleton, and a recent one. Then there are the usual murderer possibilities and the red herrings to sift through. Another good tale from M C Beaton. If you have enjoyed others in the series and also the Agatha Raisin stories, you won't be disappointed.
on 22 May 2018
Hamish Macbeth follows his own dogged trail to solve the crime despite the efforts of his superiors.
on 15 May 2018
Another 5-star read
on 8 January 2014
I thought I remembered a series featuring a person called 'Hamish Macbeth' so thought I would try reading this book. As I said it is an easy read, a different take on a policeman who doesn't seek promotion but who manages to solve cases before a superior who does.
on 6 November 2016
great book I enjoyed it then passed it on to my mum who also enjoyed it.
on 29 December 2013
as a devotee of Hamish Macbeth I found the storyline of this particular book both full and intriguing. Chracters were finely drawn and there was added pathos in the drawing of the inner feelings of the characters. You always know where you are with Hamish and can happily relax under the duvet confident that he will live up to expectations.
on 2 December 2015
A nice read if you don't want to have to think too much about the plot,ideal for reading at the airport.