on 10 May 2017
This is the first Hanna book I've read . I first met her in the Johanna Vik series. Whilst it was good to get the back story on this character I didn't feel I got to know her any better.
The premise of the story is good but the telling of the tale is very long winded. I forgot the original events and got lost in the mix of characters. Towards the end of the book a pursuit of one suspect left me almost laughing out loud at its ridiculousness. I really struggled to the to the end of the book.
Not sure if I will read any more in the series.
on 20 February 2014
I enjoyed this. It was apparently written back in 1989 but doesn't seem so at all as you read it. Her books have just been translated. I will definitely look for more in the series. I did get a little bit bogged down by some of the governmental "stuff" but thankfully it didn't carry on and we got past it. It caused me quite a bit of confusion as a few odd chapters don't tell you who is being referred to. Yes, part of the mystery but also quite confusing as well. Something I wondered about was Karen the lawyer's growing up under surveillance by local intelligence services. I didn't understand that. Another mention was Denmark sinking into the sea. I assumed it meant a suburb of Norway but couldn't find a mention on Google to clarify this.
However, I persisted and I'm pleased I did.I liked Hanne and also a few of the other characters she works with as well and I'm hoping we get to stick with them as a team in the ensuing stories.
And there were also NO MISTAKES which was pretty wonderful for a free download !!
I'll look forward to Hanne's next outing. I have the second book in my Amazon wishlist.
on 14 April 2013
I was delighted to have discovered Anne Holt's crime writing: there's a sort of tired, whimsical feel to her characters, who, in this case, are a State Prosecutor, a tax lawyer and high ranking detective. There's no pretence at coolness or any sort of moody Baltic shtick in this tale - it's concerned wth ordinary people and tawdry crimes in an all-too-real Oslo. In spite of the chilly climes, though, there's also a warmth, that comes through from the characters and their interactions: amidst the toughness of the job, they treat one another wth fondness, respect and even love. I found myself wishing I worked with them!
on 25 June 2014
Having read the Joanne Vic novels, I was tempted by the Kindle Daily deal to read Hanne Wilhelmsson, and I was not disappointed. The combination of sympathetic characters who you quickly care about, a seemingly impossible secret drug syndicate to crack open, and the description of events which constantly leave you guessing who is actually doing what, draw the reader into a well constructed plot with a page-turner of a conclusion. Anne Holt's police and law background keep the narrative authentic and yet not too technical. I read this on holiday and would highly recommend it as excellent holiday reading.
on 28 March 2016
There is nothing really special about this book but it's still a good read. Nicely written with some interesting characters. I think you have to treat it as the start of a series that will probably grow into something very interesting as you progress through the books. This was written back in the Nineties so you have to allow for that. The story is good and reasonably compelling.
on 15 November 2017
A great crime novel with wonderful descriptions of Oslo and the countryside, interesting characters who are credible and engaging, and a well crafted plot with politics thrown in for good measure. All those who like crime novels to be suspenseful, realistic and intelligent will love this. A must read for Scandi-Noir fans.
on 2 January 2015
I have not read any Hanne Wilhelmsen books before and I enjoyed the character. The crime was complex with lots of characters, which did become confusing. I loved the description of surroundings and snow scenes. I look forward to reading another in the series.
on 2 December 2015
It was first time to read a book based in Norway and that was very interesting. The author provided snippets of the Norwegian life style through out. The story itself was interesting but a little predictable. The ending which was intended to bring about the surprise element flattened the story a little bit for me. The love interest between Hakon Sand and Karen Borg didn't do it for me. Hakon a could do better I think! However overall the plot was good and kept my interest.
on 12 December 2016
Another superb anne holt wilhelmsen book with a writhing, fascinating plot. Anne has the rare skill of painting her characters so vividly that you feel for and through them as if you were there.
on 20 January 2016
A fun who done it.
This is a good example of Scandinavian police drama. Set some time ago, (faxes are still used) it has believable cast of characters, an interesting story and a good premise. Good book for a dull journey.