on 25 February 2012
Napoleon Hill "Outwitting The Devil - The Secret to Freedom and Success" (written in 1938 and up until now hidden from publication by the Family and Trust for fear of being too controversial)? It is fair to describe this as a spiritual quest ... where through a conversation with the devil ... Hill gets to the heart of negativity ... and to the specific devices that the devil uses to enslave his victims ... and then Hill uses this knowledge to reveal the seven principles of good with which to counter and dis-empower the devil. It is beautifully written in story form and is a really profound and compelling read. Stuffed to the brim with practical insights and wisdom ... which when applied have the capacity to transform your life. Though written over 70 years ago, the hallmark of Hill's success is that the book is both timeless and contemporary.

Denis Roberts
on 10 November 2017
Greate book. really made you more concious of the things you do in every day life and how it could lead you to drift.
on 9 April 2014
...If you liked Think and Grow Rich, this is a must. It solidifies the teachings of that book. The format is in that of devils advocate and works really well to hammer the messages (that you already know) home.

Absolutely recommended.
on 3 August 2012
This should have been a 5-star review, but I feel (like everyone before me) this wonderful peice of work has been vandalised by Sharon Lechter.

It's not as if the text needs any help, let alone the patronising interjections that are not fit for a 3-year old.
If you were to take a marker-pen to her comments (which are in bold), for one: you'd go through more than one pen before you finish, & two: you'd ruin the text on the other side of the page.

So my advice is, have some 'post-it' notes ready for every page turn, to block her unwelcome & unmeritted interuptions;
without that, it's impossible to ignore her comments... they're 'EVERYWHERE'!!!

If you can somehow manage to stick to Napoleon Hill's text, you will be rewarded with an intriguing book; a snapshot from history that is still relevant today (& I'd suggest even timeless).
I say that, regardless of whether you are a fan of Napoleon Hill, as I personally has never previously read any of his work.

Coming soon: The Complete Prose of Wordsworth (edited, rewritten, and with in-depth analysis after each line, by Sharon Lechter)
on 20 March 2015
If you have read the the other title by Napoleon Hill "Think and Grow Rich" then there is no real need to read this. I personally found the interview style in which the book was written to be irritating and it all seems quite long winded.
on 2 December 2016
you need to be ready to read this book pray and ask God before you do
on 11 July 2011
I've literally read 100's of books... and this one has had an ABSOLUTELY PROFOUND IMPACT.

You know when you read or hear something - and you just know the undeniable truth in what is being said...
Freedom is one of my biggest personal values in life - and because of the knowledge in this book, I now understand how I had just given it away in the past...

So what kind of impact?
Business... As the book says... "laziness + indifference = procrastination". Knowing what I am capable of and seeing that formula... big aha moment.
Kids... The bit about how as well-meaning parents we do our kids a heck of a lot of damage without actually realising because of our "well-meaning" - and seeing this so obviously and clearly in my own kid - again another massive aha moment.

It makes complete sense why this book was written in the 1930's and not released until the death of both Napoleon Hill and later his wife as well. Am really grateful that it has actually made it to print.

Interesting - and scary to realise how easy it is to gain control over human beings - and at the same time, knowledge is power - by knowing how easy it is, by reading this book, I now have tools to fight with.

Do I think it is worth your while getting this book?
Having learned to photo-read so that I could get through 100's of books and now saying that this book has had THE BIGGEST IMPACT on me - more than any other book I've ever read... well, I guess my answer to the above question is going to have to be an absolute definite YES...
22 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 February 2013
great book... concept is a bit strange, but the book works very well and would work for a beginner just as well as it does for a "think and grow rich" student like me.
on 6 December 2013
It's a well written description of our sins/faults which hold us back from achieving success. For people who have already read previous Napoleon Hill's books this just too much extensive as it repeats some point from those books. Apart from that it is one of the most useful books I've ever read in motivation area.
on 13 March 2014
I've read it once and I'll read it again. I will recommend it to my friends for inspiration and guidance