Customer reviews

on 31 August 2013
Hmm.. I'm disappointed with this book.
The examples and works from the preview pages are what I expected.
But there are not much things like that in the book.
Some are just 'calligraphy' ..not that creative lettering per se.
I tried to like like it, but after 2 times of reading it, I found myself trying to sell it on internet.
on 2 March 2014
Shows a well-illustrated range of different lettering styles, & some interesting techniques for creating certain effects.
A good book if you're seeking some inspiration....

Be warned, though - to achieve these ideas, you will have to time travel, & actually use strange & archaic materials known as: 'Inks' , 'Paints' , 'Brushes' , 'Pens' , 'Tin Cans' .... & put them straight onto something called 'Paper' .
With your own hands. Quite refreshing in the Age-Of-A-Million-Fonts..
on 26 April 2013
Lots of imaginative fonts and styles of lettering. Provides loads of inspiration and detailed guidance on developing technique. An excellent investment.
on 27 April 2016
I quite like this book. Originally I got it because I wanted to do chunky-looking cursive as I have seen some planner/journal geeks do on YouTube! It has a wide selection of lettering in it, including chunky-cursive.

It's very much a 'copy what you see' book but there are tips and stories from lettering creators to inspire you to create your own, but nothing comprehensive.

Nowadays I don't use it for journaling - you need patience for that. I self-publish handwritten content and I have used it to do quick, aesthetically pleasing titles and stuff. I have also started to write people's names on penpal letters using funky fonts with guidance from this. It's a good reference book. Before this book I only knew how to do bubble writing.
on 6 August 2013
This book has lots of ideas, inspiration & instructions to help you create beautiful lettering for your artwork. There are various styles from v modern & funky to classic, grungy etc. There are also web addresses so you can see further work by the different artists. Only drawback is that it should be ring-bound as you will want to have this book open to work from...
on 23 February 2014
This collection of work and advice from differing artist will have you reaching for your sketchbook. It is a beautiful book to look through. Where it really scores is in the variety of work on display. You just can't help wanting to try some of the lettering and develop it. A really good buy.
on 11 December 2013
i think this is one of my best purchases of lettering art/hand lettering books i have made. it didn't disappoint on content, inspiration, ideas, projects, and in its easy to read format. i'd highly recommend this for anyone interested in lettering by hand, or papercrafters
on 16 August 2013
The main thing I like about this book is the visual aspect and the fact you can read little snippets of information along side the images rather than whole pages of text so it makes for a pretty good visual reference book and this is what I wanted it for-as an inspirational book. If your interest is learning "how to" then you will also find step by step pages and hear from the artists on how they are inspired and the tools they prefer.
It would have been nice to see a few more examples of creative lettering throughout the book and that's why I give it 4 instead of 5 stars.
on 10 July 2015
I bought this book mainly for my granddaughters aged 8. It is just right and they enjoy looking at it and copying the letters.
on 31 December 2013
I bought this for for my artist daughter in law for her birthday and she is delighted with it as she loves to experiment