Customer reviews

Format: MP3 CD|Change

on 16 March 2016
An interview with the author brought this book to my attention, and while I was sceptical that the subject could fill a book I decided to give it a go. I was right to be doubtful. This must be the most long-winded, insubstantial books I have read. There is little here that I haven't come across before, and any new information is extrapolated upon ad nauseum. The section on weights and measures, for instance, is interminable and repetitious. And when you finish you conclude that what was said could have been done in a quarter of the space. Really the fundamental problem is that this is a thin plot stretched to ridiculous lengths. At 200 pages it may have been bearable, but 400 is simply overkill. If the writing were stylish and witty this may have been excusable, but the dry, functional tone makes the journey seem even longer.
on 8 May 2015
A wfascinating book, obviously diligently researched but also a very good read.
on 31 July 2014
Really interesting book - well read by the narrator and full of quirky facts
on 1 February 2015
I didn't find this anywhere near as interesting as I had hoped. Some interesting facts and information but there were too many generalisations and too many inaccuracies. Twice in the book I read that, until recent times (the 1970s were cited), we in Britain had a choice between butter that was either rancid or rock hard, in part due to our slow adoption of the refrigerator. I was born in 1950 and I have never had rancid butter in my life and my working-class parents had a 'fridge by the mid-fifties.
on 18 May 2015
A real unexpected treat. Brilliant history of the taken for granted.
VINE VOICEon 24 March 2014
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is interesting and makes the reader think about things in the kitchen that they probably previously took for granted.

The book didn't keep my concentration that well. It was the kind of book that I dipped in and out of for a couple of weeks rather than reading, as I usually do over a period of 2-3 days.

It is good however to read a book like this about the kitchen, which isn't about food as it's main subject! And it's certainly educational.
VINE VOICEon 16 December 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have had this book for a couple of months now; it's the kind of book you can dip into from time to time - full of quite interesting information about the history of cooking and the kitchen but pretty joy-less in its execution. I'd say this book would suit anyone doing an A Level or vocational qualification in food technology or catering as background research material but for real food aficionados, it's pretty dull. I have given it a rather generous 3*.
on 1 February 2015
An excellent book. Well written, informative and entertaining.
VINE VOICEon 31 January 2014
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book promised more than it delivered in the end. It as a good idea, and obviously the author is well qualified to write on this subject, but sadly for me it had a feeling of "rushed school project" about it.
I kept hearing Dorothy Hartley in my head; some ground covered in this book overlapped with that of Food in England, a far far better book. Go and buy that one instead. Disappointing.
on 8 August 2014
Really interesting stuff. Great book to dip into.