on 1 February 2012
Paris My Sweet is a memoir of a year in the life of thirty-six year old sweet-addict Amy, who gets the chance to work for Louis Vuitton in the city she has always dreamed about. Part guide book to the best bakeries in town, part love letter to Paris, part almost mid-life crisis, Amy must learn to live as an American ex-pat in an utterly foreign city. For readers with a sweet-tooth, there are many mouth-watering descriptions of the various pastries and cakes she tries, along with recommendations and information about famous chefs and pastry trends.

Paris My Sweet is a light, cosy read. Although it is a well-written memoir, it's written with a light tone that makes it easy to breeze through and escape into. I must admit to not being a massive dessert fan myself (I'm more into savoury snacks), but I did enjoy the descriptions of all the food and imagine that someone who enjoys cakes would love them even more. My favourite part was the passion and joy with which Amy wrote about Paris, I've visited Paris only once and her descriptions made me want to visit again. After reading this book, you too will want to cycle along the Champs D'Elysses, stopping at cute patissiers whenever the mood strikes you.

The parts that I felt didn't work as well were the parts when things became tough for Amy and she starts to feel very isolated living alone in a foreign city. Her feelings are definitely understandable, but the tone of the book is so light (it's like a chick-lit memoir) that it's hard to connect with Amy and really understand what she is going through. The writing jumps from loneliness to cupcakes too quickly to have any real impact. There's also a lot about the ticking of biological clocks that again feels a bit shallow. Paris My Sweet was more about the cakes and the wonderful setting than it was about any real identification with the author.

Still, this is a fun read that's perfect for any armchair traveller or pastry enthusiast. It's quick, breezy and will make you want to travel to Paris and gorge on cake immediately
on 20 July 2012
Paris my sweet - after reading this book, it certainly made me feel I had put on weight ! and definitely want to re-visit Paris with a different itinerary. Partly story, partly gastronomic guide book, its an enjoyable treat of a book, not an exciting story line, but still informative about the various places to visit for anyone able to taste macaroons, croissant, cupcakes, chcolate , without putting on weight !

It has also tempted my palate to visit New York to check out all the suggestions.
on 26 April 2013
This book is yummy and lovely in every way. It is far better written and more entertaining than Jenny Colgans Chocolate Shop in paris!!

A great read!!
on 1 February 2013
great travel and life of a professional female book. good sweets source guide for paris and new york city included.
on 31 March 2014
It is very sweet book :) Maybe there is not a lot of adventures but you can walk the streets of Paris and visit amazing sweet places on it s map. The author writes addresses from NYC too so we can visit both cities and make a sweet trip.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 March 2014
I love this book, such a good read and insight into everything Paris, especially when it comes to food :)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse