Format: Diary|Change

on 13 February 2014
I bought this for both myself and a writer friend for Christmas. He moved quite far away last year and this was a perfect, unusual way of staying connected. By both writing in this book and sharing our work, we've been inspiring each other from afar! It's of excellent quality print and paper wise and will stand the test of time with inevitable regular use.
on 22 February 2015
I love this so much. It's been a while since I've done any writing, serious or for fun and this was definitely fun. It has prompts that make you think and some that are completely random things you'd never think about writing about. In my opinion well worth the money and a most have for anyone that lives writing either creatively or just because.
on 20 March 2016
An amazing ideia for a book! An amazing ideia to get people out of a boredom state into a creative state. Amazingly random and peculiar things to write about. Some things you may never have thought about and probably wouldn't, and some things that touch your own personal life. If you have a writing/creative block or lack of inspiration moment this book will give you so many fun and creative inspirations/ideias!
on 16 August 2015
For such a simple idea I was absolutely engrossed in this book for days. You will get sucked into your new stories that you're building from these great little ideas. I'm currently studying English and as part of my Creative Writing class I often have to write short stories and this has been a great help for those days when your mind is blank.
on 6 October 2013
I haven't had much time to use this quite honestly, but I've enjoyed the times I have. the prompts are so random it really feeds your imagination ( "Write an ode to an onion" I kid you not!) and is definitely a great book to turn to when you're in a creative slump/ have writer's block. :)
on 20 February 2015
This was a gift for a friend who loves to write but has been lacking inspiration recently. She cried when she got it (and shes not a crier!)
on 23 November 2015
A Houseplant is dying.
Tell it why it needs to live.

You really need to live little houseplant. I bought you because years ago I painted a picture for a lady at the Rainbow Centre who was helping me with managing my bills and my debts. I used to go there for a dinner, as there is a lovely café selling home cooked food. Lots of homeless people go there and people who are struggling to cope. I was one of them.

Anyway, Jan the lady who was helping me said she would take me to Marks and Spencer’s and buy me a plant for painting her the picture. So we went to the shop and I chose a peace Lilly just like you. Unfortunately my health was deteriorating and I stopped going to the Rainbow Centre. I didn’t know what time of day it was, or whether it was a weekday or the weekend. I forgot all about my Peace Lilly plant and it died.

So I recently replaced my Peace Lily and I really don’t want you to die. I am well now and should be able to look after you and keep you alive. So please don’t die or this memory of my painting and the lady who helped me will die again. If you live and I keep watering you every day it is a symbol of how far I have come and how so much better life is now.

A Houseplant is dying.
Tell it why it needs to live.
Written by Victoria Wilkins
From 642 Things to Write About by The San Francisco Writers Grotto
on 30 May 2013
Bought this as i'm not able to do much at the moment- a good book to pick up on a whim if your bored- but don't expect anything too serious! It's good to get the weird and creative juices flowing, have fun with it!
on 1 November 2014
This is OK,,especially for young adults and most especially American young adults. Doesn't do much for me really. i enjoy creative writing and thought I would enjoy writing about some of the prompt type themes included in this pad, type book, however, there is little space to write - if you like writing you would need to use your own notebooks. Because of this negative fact I have not enjoyed using 642 Things to Write and actually have gained more from Creative Writing sites , where prompts are "a dime a dozen" ... Not for me and I would not recommend - except, perhaps, as an addition to a gift for someone whom loves writing....but I'd have to suggest adding a nice notebook and pen to make the gift interesting and thoughtful...the pad book wouldn't do it at all.
on 25 January 2016
Some good starting points for writing here but it's very American.
Also this was advertised as a book for children. I would disagree, some of the starting points aren't appropriate in my opinion.
A nice idea, perhaps one specifically aimed at children could be produced?
Speedy delivery from Amazon.