on 12 March 2017
I play wow and I have now read the majority of the book.
This one filled in a few gaps for me and I totally enjoyed reading this book.. enjoy
on 17 February 2017
Very good book, however I find mass market paperback a bit uncomfortable
on 9 October 2012
Alright, first of all, I would like to say that I've read 5 Warcraft Novels so far: Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, Rise of the Horde, The War of the Ancients Archive (this could probably be counted as three), The Shattering and Tides of War, which I finished not ten minutes ago. Afte reading it I can say with absolute certainty that this is the absolute ebst Warcraft book I've read.

Firstly, the format. The hardcover follows the same design as The Shattering, being an elegant medium sized black book, with the title and author written in gold on the side. The size of the font is easy to read, not being too large or small, and the overall quality of the book is superb.

The story. I just got the book the day before yesterday and literally couldn't stop reading it. Without any spoilers, Tides of War has tons of tense action, moral dilemmas, internal conflicts, well chosen humor, and well, dramatic changes to some of Warcrafts most important figures, such as Jaina, Thrall, Kalecgos, Garrosh, Baine, etc., some of whom I did not appreciate or fully understand before reading the novel.

I recommend this to anyone who is intersted in the lore of Warcraft and wants to better understand what's going on inside the heads of the games' main charecters.
on 11 September 2012
Tides of War revolves around the diplomatic alliance Mage, Jaina Proudmoore, and the fractured Horde's campaign to take back what they believe is rightfully theirs; Kalimdor. Lead by the cunning but arrogant Warchief Garrosh Hellscream - who has manipulated his Horde to the point where it's proud and fan-loved faction leaders are on a leash; one which they are sorely beginning to strain on. Hellscream plans an attack on the Alliance city of Theremore using horrific means which takes the previously seen scale of Alliance vs Horde to a whole new level, involving the now un-restrained and free Blue Dragon Flight's ancient power.

Presented primarily from Theremore itself, with further character depth into the ex-Blue Dragon Aspect Kalecgos, various Horde and alliance leaders and also the Kirin'tor's of Dalaran - Christie Golden sublimely writes my favorite and what I believe to be her/if not the best World of Warcraft novel yet, showing new cavernous depth to characters we knew little about previously. The story is utterly gripping from start to finish, holding scenes from heart breaking tragedy to heart pounding intensity.

Tides of War shows that an angry Black Dragon, evil Lich King, betrayed ex Night-Elf demon or grumpy Old God is not required to hype up the excitement level for a new expansion.A resounding 'Bring it on' rings in your mind after fiercely concluding this book, reassuring me that the upcoming game will truly MoP up the mess the Cataclysm spilled on our beloved game and bring back the unique atmosphere which World of Warcraft has lacked recently in its story/raid content.

Full marks, 12/10, 6 out of 5. I fully recommend this book to any and all World of Warcraft players even remotely interested in it's Lore. I also recommend those who usually aren't interested to try it out and just make that end game Raid a little more satisfying and anticipated...
on 25 September 2012
I have become a bit of a fan of Christie Golden since Arthas; Rise of The Lich King and I purchased The Shattering and Thrall; The Twilight of Aspects and now Tides of War and I have to say that Christie does a damn fine job at keeping her books well tied in with the lore of World of Warcraft and her description in every word really works one's imagination and visualizes every action. Being a resident in the UK I have only seen 2 of her books available in shops which are Rise of the Horde and The Dark Portal so being able to get these books from Amazon ties in my love for the lore. I brought this book and I had fully read it within three days, I had to put it down for work though but I was so entangled within it I struggled to put it down!

I'm a WoW player myself and I had to miss the pre Mists of Pandaria event but this book covered it extremely well even though Blizzard did keep the Fall of Theramore quite well under wraps until the event went live and became a Scenario for level 90 players after the expansion was released. I got to say good work Christie!

BEWARE! Spoilers incoming!

Jaina and Thrall are 2 of my favorite characters in the WoW lore and to say that Lady Jaina Proudmoore has "had it rough" would be an understatement as she is always caught in the middle of the forever growing friction between the Horde and the Alliance, defying her father and brother with her diplomatic approach with the Horde even after both of them falling to the Horde and being caught in a love triangle which results in the death of her mentor and the love of her life going down a dark path (Read Arthas; Rise of the Lich King if you haven't already).

Garrosh Hellscream's thirst for conquest and war sends an all-out assault on Northwatch Hold and then to Theramore to end the "peace and diplomacy" which Jaina has given the Horde to the resent of both Baine Bloodhoof and Vol'jin. This conquest not only affects the Alliance itself and Jaina personally but it comes at a cost to both the Kirin Tor (with the death of a good man), the Blue Dragonflight (Kalecgos' story) and members of the Shattered Sun Offensive military group from Shattrah City.

The cause of Theramore's fall affects Jaina both mentally and physically and causes her to head down a dark path similar to Arthas and be full of vengence and hate towards the Horde and attempts to "heal her wounds" by using dangerous magic against the Horde. With this using similar magic and would affect two close friends of hers she is confronted and stopped by them who make her see sense that killing innocents the same way will only make her the same monster as Garrosh and that anger makes people do actions they think is right but costs the lives of those who did nothing wrong. This leads an Alliance assault against Ogrimmar and turns the tides a little bit thus begins the preparation for the next war, but can Pandaria be the end of the war? Only one way to find out!

Definitely worth the read so again well done Christie! I eagerly await your next book! 5*
on 21 February 2013
Naturally, Golden is my favourite Warcraft writer when the first book of the series I read was The Shattering (World of Warcraft Cataclysm Series), also by herself. In fact, it was the first book that I found incredibly hard to put down, however that's not saying much as I very rarely find time to read. Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War does justice to the horrific butchery of the quest zone, Theramore, in the MMORPG World of Warcraft (which this book is based on). One of my favourite zones was turned into a "3-man encounter", and blown to smithereens without an explanation as to why in-game.

But now I understand completely, and not once was I scratching my head thanks to Christie Golden's clarity throughout the novel. Jaina Proudmoore is completely unaware that the Focusing Iris, an item used to draw all the magic of the planet Azeroth to the Blue Dragonflight's home - the Nexus - has been stolen. Not only that, but its reasons for being stolen are also very dark. She must team up with the charming young leader of the Blue Dragonflight, the ex-Aspect Kalecgos, and retrieve the Iris before it is too late.

Meanwhile, in the Horde, tensions are rising. Baine Bloodhoof, Cheiftain of the Bloodhoof Tauren, and Vol'jin, Shadow Hunter and leader of the Darkspear Troll clan, are questioning their loyalty to the Horde. Even during the summit, Lor'themar Theron, Regent Lord of the Blood Elves, and Lady Sylvanas Windrunner, the Banshee Queen of the Forsaken, have their doubts about remaining in the faction. Garrosh Hellscream, the son of fabled Grom, is leading the Horde to disaster. His bloodthirst is becoming even more unquenchable, his desire to not just crush the Alliance, but completely remove anything that isn't Horde from the face of Azeroth, is becoming more dire. And Garrosh, Warchief of the Horde, will do anything to make sure people tell him what he wants to hear.

I really like the story of Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War, not only because one of my favourite characters is seeing more depth, but because it changes my opinions on characters drastically. While Garrosh is a hot-headed baffoon, I had to admire his "wisdom" later on, and I even became interested in one of my least desirable factions in game, the Blue Dragonflight (simply because I don't understand them). I'm even given more insight to the leader of the Kirin Tor, Rhonin, as well as his wife Vareesa and her cause.

But despite all this, one thing that got on my nerves was Jaina's sudden change of attitude when she loses the thing that makes her.... well, Jaina. Her outbursts of rage, her sudden insanity - despite her loss - is unacceptable. Insanity should come gradually, not immediately after a scrap and an explosion. Her rage is so great that she gives up on diplomacy (so long as Garrosh remains the Warchief), and goes to great lengths to crush the Horde herself for their attrocities.

Very few times however did I have problems, though I did put the book off for a week as soon as the story opened up with the Blue Dragonflight. Understanding now that they're, y'know, the masters of all magic, I have to admit that they play a very important role in the books and weren't added just for the sake of it.

The ending itself doesn't reveal Pandaria, or anything to do with the voyage there, which is a shame because it makes little sense of why "The White Pearl" needed to travel there in the first place. Or at least, in that direction. And I think this was indeed one of the major reasons why WoW players who wanted an explanation for early events bought the book. That and because Golden is a fantastic author.

Another thing that bugs me is the question, "what happened to Malkorok, the Blackrock Orc?", as he just disappears. I've yet to go to Orgrimmar or rather, Grommash Hold to see if he's there, but he kind of disappeared. With any luck there'll be more of an explanation as to his origins, why he joined the Horde and what he plans to do while he's there. A very mysterious fellow indeed.

*CONCLUSION*

To conclude, I've had a great time reading this 309 page novel, giving me even more insight to the now-leader of the Kirin Tor (and the Kirin Tor Offensive in Patch 5.2), as well as her struggles during the War on Theramore. I'd recommend this book if you like the character of Proudmoore, and learning of Garrosh's plans for Kalimdor! Definitely worth £15 or under!
VINE VOICEon 7 December 2015
'Tides of War' is the first 'Warcraft' novel that I have read and I must say that while it has its faults, the novel was still quite entertaining. The novel takes place during the run-up to the 'Mists of Pandaria' expansion and sees Garrosh Hellscream begin to put into motion plans to conquer the entirety of Kalimdor for the Horde with Northwatch Hold and Theramore first on the list. Meanwhile Kalecgos, the former Aspect of the Blue Dragon Flight, discovers the theft of a powerful artefact that could bring ruin to the entire world.

While I did enjoy reading this book it definitely has its flaws with the writing being incredibly repetitious (was it really necessary to keep repeating that Kalec is the former Blue Dragon Aspect for instance) and the sizes of the forces involved in the conflict seems to be a little inconsistent at times. As well as this, for some reason the book had some trouble keeping my interest at times meaning that it took me somewhat longer to read than many other books of similar length.

The book does have some good points with the action scenes being very enjoyable to read. The book also has some very emotional moments in the aftermath of the battle of Theramore that I felt were nicely written and I will admit to having a tear in my eye at a couple of points. The characters used in the book were generally handled well with Jaina Proudmoore’s character arc being quite enjoyable to read in particular (although I will admit that Kalec does seem a little redundant in places and seems a little underpowered at points).

The book also includes some suggestions for further reading.

Overall 'Jaina Proudmoore – Tides of War' was a flawed but entertaining book that is probably worth four stars in all and I will definitely be looking to read some other 'Warcraft' books in the future.
on 21 August 2014
A good read for a lore fan, but you do need to push through it at points.

The story arch is roughly as follows:

- The blue dragon flight loose the Iris
- Kalec goes to look for the Iris, spending time at Theramore
- The Horde invade Northwatch
- Knowing Theramore will be next Jaina finds allies
- The Horde invade
- The Horde drop a mana bomb on Theramore (a per MoP)
- Jaina goes nuts and tries to kill all the horde
- Jaina is stopped and becomes leader of the Kirin Tor
- The world prepares for war

The book sells itself as being about the 'Jaina Goes Nuts' part. As you can see above this happens very late in the book and doesn't count for much in terms of reading content. I found the second half of the book good, but the first half did waffle on a bit.

Whilst it's a lore novel, for example, referring to mages summoning cookies for food, as they do in the game, really didn't add much for me. Knaak, for all his faults, at least avoids doing this. Yes, it's a book based on a game, but little reminders of that in honesty frustrated me rather than enriched the experience. I don't see why Golden felt the need, at points, to write like this other than to remind the reader of the game mechanics.

Overall, a goodish read. A number of key characters died, which surprised me, but if you enjoy reading the WOW lore and keeping up to date, it goes without saying that this is a must read. However, if you're not into the game I'd give it a miss.
on 16 May 2014
As one of the expansion bridge novels, it necessarily is going to have to hit certain plot points for the sake of hitting them, but of Golden's efforts this feels the most perfunctory. The whole story feels kind of like 'this thing happens, so this bit happens, and then the table's set for new expansion', which I feel detracts from the overall storytelling.

Characterisation is a bit mixed, Golden seems to understand Jaina except when she has to approach romance elements (which feel very superfluous), and many of the other characters seem a bit one-dimensional, especially [spoiler] the Alliance visiting Theramore near the midpoint.

Horde characterisation is a little stronger, though I would have liked to see more of Baine and Vol'Jin talking shop, seeding their rebellion later in the game.

Jaina's apprentice is also a pretty compelling character, a decent representative of the Gnomes who are often simply background material in the canon. A scene near the end with her family is very well-written.

Overall if you're reading this far you probably play WoW and are interested in the fiction. If this is the first warcraft book you're considering reading, I would recommend pretty much everything else Golden's written over this so far.
on 26 September 2012
One of the best Warcraft books out there. Highly Recommended, for anyone with a love for wow. Golden shows why she is one of the best authors out there.