on 24 July 2017
2 thoughts after reading this. 1) The book is hardly about the music, the shows, the music industry, the writing of the albums. Every 2 words are pills, hash, coke, splits and of course p*ssy. A bit sad really that this is the only thing he seems to be able to write about. It's as empty as Ratt's music is / was. 2) This guy (and probably the others as well) got stinking rich on mediocre music. But one cannot blame him when the American public in the 80s thought this was good music. This image / hair metal (metal ? mmmmh, not to me) was no more than a fling for the American audience. Being high all of his life, not much of a "man" to me. But to his defence, one can wonder if he was not to some extent a victim of the music business. They do chew you up and spit you out, not giving a toss about you as a human, just interested in how much dollars you can generate.
on 22 September 2013
apart from the heroin diaries,this is my favourite boig - and i have read most of the recent rock/metal stars books.this i read in one day - couldnt put it down
on 8 May 2013
So I must have read pretty much every rock book going, in some cases even ones where I don't like the band.

By those standards, I think Motley Crue's "The Dirt" would be pretty difficult to ever top in terms of the definitive rock bio, but this one is definitely an entertaining read.

It's a good mix of background into the music biz, showbiz gossip, plus Pearcy's honest assessment of his drug/booze demons.

I have the Bobby Blotzer (Ratt drummer) book too which I also enjoyed, but Pearcy comes across more self-deprecating than his drummer, whilst probably equally flawed as a person.

Anyway, a great read if you're a Ratt fan or 80s rock fan in general.
on 27 August 2013
I liked this book! I may be slightly biased, as a huge ratt fan and admirer of Pearcy as a frontman, but for me it perfectly encapsulates the glitz and grime of the 80's LA metal scene, whilst describing in detail his early life and the rise of the band which would eventually become Ratt. Add in some amusing personal anecdotes about other bands- Van Halen, Motley Crue and W. Axl Rose all feature, amongst others- plus a reasonably dry and self deprecating wit, and for fans of the hair metal era you've an extremely entertaining read!
I would've liked to hear more about the other band members.....the late Robbin Crosby gets a decent amount of coverage, but Juan Croucier and Warren DeMartini are barely mentioned. Also the songs themselves are hardly touched on- and as Pearcy was Ratt's principal songwriter i find that baffling!
Overall though a good read, especially for fans of 80's rock and metal.
on 1 December 2015
Ok read - I still struggle not to think of Panama when I hear Round and Round... At least Stephen is honest about being a total idiot trying heroin just to see what it was like... Now you know... His daughter seems proud of him and appears sensible herself. He's older than I realised.. He's also experienced some sad things despite a taste of fame..
The book serves as a drugs warning.
on 27 December 2014
This book is a compulsive read, was never a Ratt fan, far from it, but I enjoy reading biographies, especially music ones, and this is fantastic. I really recommend it
on 2 December 2016
Good read although there's not as much debauchery as I expected there to be. Good non the less.
on 14 August 2015
Love the book, only took me 3 days to read, couldn't put it down
on 9 January 2015
Great product and usual fast service from Amazon. Thanks.
on 16 July 2015