on 21 November 2012
David Mack returns to epic Trek novelling with the first book in his Cold Equations trilogy, which sees the Enterprise called to investigate a shocking theft/kidnapping and follows this up with some surprising, heart-warming and intriguing events that once again might just change the Trek universe forever.

Mack's style is strong and easy to read. I wanted to dive in and not stop reading, which is always a bonus, and was particularly frustrated in the middle section at having to stop reading to go to sleep or work. His grip on the characters is perfect and I really enjoyed the first-person parts of the narrative.

This book is particularly focussed on one character, and some of the others seem a little under-represented, but hopefully that will be resolved in the sequels. Mack ties in with a lot of things from the various TV series - one of which I'd been thinking about just a few days before reading which made it a nice reference to come across. He's also relying a lot on events from the novel 'Immortal Coil' which I have to confess not to have read (yet).

The one weak point I thought was the final chapter, which didn't seem to quite fit, and I would have appreciated a little more before it, but I can understand that it was needed to set the scene a little for what will follow. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for book two - David Mack has certainly reminded me at least that he's one of the top Trek authors of all time.
on 18 April 2017
an easy read
on 30 October 2014
Excellent stuff, it's as if the tv series and films are on going. Will def read next instalments of cold equations.
on 4 September 2017
It's a story I've been waiting to read. The Gods of nights etc trilogy was amazing this is coming to be a close second.
on 18 September 2014
Your classic Genius with all its flaws, that is Noonian Soong... in an android body!
on 16 May 2013
This is either an excellent addition to the STNG canon or another example of the series never-ending ability to undo the damage caused by another part of the franchise. (or perhaps it can be both at once.) In this case they bring back a character who had left us in one of the film tie-ins and build afresh from there. The story is well told, the characters are true to STNG lore and the pace of this and the 2 subsequent books in the series just right. For those reasons it might have got 5 stars but then there is this character re-invention thing. Yes it's great that science fiction can be inventive but it is getting to the stage where the end of STNG books/ films etc can't be trusted because another author can just come along and re-write history. Filling in the gaps within the time-line is another thing entirely and has been very inventive indeed. However, after 'Cold Equations 1-3' I would not be surprised to see Kirk be re-born just in time to fight an isolated pocket of Borg who were not included in the Borg destruction from earlier in the series (or had perhaps returned from the past where they had been trying again to re-write Star Fleet history themselves.) If these series become randomly mind-boggling instead of primarily entertaining then we'll all be the poorer for it.
on 16 November 2014
This is one of my least favourite Startrek books. Soong's very lengthy monologue is rather tedious and I skipped a good proportion of it.
on 5 December 2012
Enjoyed his book ,loved how in star trek anything is possible, David Mack Is such a good author and this genre suits him to a tee
on 13 November 2012
One of my favorite Star Trek novels, if not the best one!! I loved this story, it had everything I read the Star Trek books for. Technobabble and technology, great characters, interesting story that was in depth but moved along at a good pace. I was very disappointed when it finished, I wanted it to keep going. Great job Mr Mack, looking forward to the rest of the trilogy.
on 20 May 2015
One of the best Star Trek novels I ever read so far; the psychological introspection (of Noonien Soong in this case) is something unusual in ST books and here, David Mack makes it not a boring read but a thrilling discovery and journey of a cybernetician who...but I can't say without divulging the scenario of this story.And it is also about the death of his son, Data, in the Nemesis accident. Again, a great book to read, we want more like this (and the good news is this is only part1 of 3).