on 9 March 2017
half way through reading it - author was very dedicated to Mrs. Kennedy - they were fortunate to have him as her body guard - she spent much time away from Washington, now they give Melania Trump a hard time but Jackie Kennedy was mainly at farm in Virginia when Kennedy was president. I find the book rather sad too for some reason and you only glimpse at the surface of the Kennedy's lives as that is all Clink Hill saw as their secret service agent. Why did Jack and Bobby Kennedy want to keep Jackie Kennedy away from Aristotle Onassis when she traveled to Greece? Why did Frank Sinantra call her after Ambassador Joe Kennedy died? So far from what I've ready author offers no insight.
on 12 August 2017
I really enjoyed this book. I have read other books about Jaqueline K but I felt this was the best although it doesn't reveal all the bad times that her marriage, supposedly, went through. A very enjoyable read.
on 3 April 2017
It was à different view of jackie and her time as 1st lady.Not the way she was written about in thé média .A young wife and mother who loves her family and Wanted as normal à life as possible. And thé Man who became her friend and protector.
on 21 March 2017
Great book
on 3 September 2012
Clint Hill's memoir has been a long time coming but now it has arrived, many will be delighted - I certainly am.

Following on from Rufus Youngblood (in 73) and Gerald Blaine (in 2010), Hill recounts his life and work on the White House Detail.

Assisted -as Blaine was - by Lisa McCubbin, Clint Hill manages to steer the delicate line between discrete anecdote and gossip-mongering.
Much of the narrative has the definite feel of feminine input. Many of the observations about Mrs. K's wardrobe are far too astute to have been made by Clint Hill, I'm sure.

Hill's devotion to his charge is evident from first to last and the fact that he and Mrs. K managed to retain an entirely professional relationship throughout their time together speaks very well of both parties.
Like Mrs. K, Hill, was seldom at home and the impact of his absence from his wife and children can only really be guessed at. His mention of them is infrequent throughout the book and, the reader is rather left with the feeling that Clint simply doesn't want to discuss this aspect; which is entirely understandable.

The book turns from fairy-tale to nightmare with the assassination in Dallas. The authors devote three chapters to this pivotal moment in history; `Preparing For Texas', `That Day In Dallas' and 'Parkland Hospital'. These pages offer Hill's perspective, of course, and they mesh with and add to the recollections of so many others.
It makes for pretty grim reading and, I would hope, Clint Hill may have found it cathartic.
The book does contain a rather alarming factual error that, I fear, conspiracy buffs will have a field-day with. I won't say what it is, though. The buffs like to think of themselves as `researchers', so they can go and find it themselves.
I suspect that either Hill or McCubbin `compressed' the chronology of certain events and may have appended later information onto an earlier scenario in which the information was, at that time, unknown.

With the death of JFK countless lives were changed forever. Clint Hill was one of the many.
The book moves rather mournfully, as one would expect, to Mrs. K eventually leaving the White House and restarting her life again.

On page 131, he writes, "So, that's how I ended up spending the night at the home of Princess Irene Galizitzine. My life had been one adventure after another. It sure was a long way from the North Dakota Children's Home [where he was brought up] to the residence of a princess on the Isle of Capri. I felt like the luckiest man in the world."
That was in `62. Oswald would be waiting and hiding little more than a year from then.
on 30 April 2012
I bought this book on a whim after reading about it in a newspaper. I am in my mid-30s so am not one of these people that can say "I remember what I was doing on that day" but lke most people I have seen that awful footage of JFK's assassination many times, and watched Jackie Kennedy climb onto the rear of the car and see a Secret Service agent run towards her. The chance to read an account of that day by that Secret Service agent was what made me buy this book, and I was not disappointed. I won't lie, I bought it to read Clint Hill's account of that fateful day but fom start to finish it gives you an amazing insight into the life of one of the worlds most famous women. I genuinely could not put it down and loved every page. Highly recommend it.
on 13 November 2014
I really enjoyed this book. I liked Clint Hill, and admired his dignity and professionalism throughout it. I didn't find Mrs Kennedy very endearing, playing the absentee wife most of the time, which one would suspect gave ample opportunity for the stories we read about JFK and his womanising.

It was very interesting to see the whole thing from Clint Hill's perspective, especially being English it showed how things were done in America. His loyalty and devotion to Jackie Kennedy is admirable, as it is doubtful you could almost give your life over to your work unless you had this attitude, because of course it became detrimental to his own private life.

He kept all this quiet until after Jackie Kennedy's death, which also speaks volumes for him. I hope it was cathartic, as I am sure he could not rid yourself of the nightmare in his memory, and has had to live with it.

Clint Hill thoroughly nice man, Mrs Kennedy not so likeable.
on 19 April 2014
Have wanted to read this book for a long time. Disappointed in it a bit. Too sweety sweety. Jackie Kennedy comes over as a saint along with her husband and we know this is not the truth. A bit phoney. Service from Amazon excellent.
on 1 March 2017
The book arrived on time and in good condition, it is a well written book which gives an insight into the behind the scenes life if this very public yet private woman, written with discretion and fondness for the subject.
on 21 May 2016
A very human story, told very well. I'm old enough to remember what I was doing when President Kennedy was shot. This book gIves a fascinating insight into the characters involved.