on 13 January 2016
good
on 28 November 2012
I'm a big Ann Rule fan as I am very interested in true crime and I find her to be one of the more fluid and sympathetic story tellers. I generally only have one niggle with her books in that the vast majority of the victims (and many of the perpetrators) are described in terms of their physical beauty. This galls me a little as it seems as if Ms Rule feels that attractive murder victims are in some way more tragic, valuable or important than ugly ones. Ugly people are loved too!

This book is generally up to her usual standard in terms of storytelling but could do with a good edit (Kindle version) as there are typos and the occasional weird phrase (a woman had "lost her husband to death"). I also found it very odd indeed that she had used as a source a random person posting on an Internet forum under a pseudonym claiming to be a "medical expert". Odd that a writer who normally does great research should give over sections of print to repeating speculation and opinion posted anonymously online.

Still, despite this, I enjoyed the book immensely and have yet to find another true crime writer quite up to her standard in terms of making the victims real to the reader. Even if they are all beautiful!
on 8 December 2012
This author always delivers well researched cases and writes well. However, I prefer her longer stories and I find the sentimental exploration of the family and community reaction irritating....this does no favours to ones opinion of America and its people
on 26 December 2013
Gripping read...very thought evoking and makes you aware there is danger present in the least likeliest of places....couldn't put it down
on 11 October 2014
Haven't finished this book yet but haven't put it down since I started reading it. The detail in the book is excellent and it is probably the only book that I have read for years when I have read and talked and gasped to myself as I have turned each page. Great, great read. 5 * well worth. First of Ann Rule's book I have read but I will be looking at the others.
on 25 April 2013
This is a nice,thick book, and it contains some photographs. In at least one case, the text refers to a photograph that is not there, and we have two copies of the same photo.

The writing is, in my opinion, not as good as some of her earlier books, it lacks the vivid description, the vibrancy of the victim, and there is sometimes not enough evidence for me to feel that the author has come to the only possible conclusion.

It is still a good read, a nice way to fill a couple of hours when you just want to relax, but if you are new to Ann Rule I would suggest one of her earlier books to start off with.
on 14 July 2013
Ms Rule has been doing this a long time and she is very good at it. No great introspection, just interesting stories about average people told in an easy to read, almost 'tabloid' style.
on 23 December 2012
I was so pleased to find this book on kindle as i have read all of Anne rules books that i know of , read in two days while in bed with bad cold, it certainly took my mind off how bad i was feeling, so glad to have had this book for company, this one is shorter stories, written with her usual expertise. you cant go wrong with Anne Rule , it is not surprising thatmany of her books have been made into movies. specially the stranger beside me.
on 18 February 2013
I have almost all of Ann Rule's books. They are real life crime and a fascinating insight into why people do what they do and how they get away with it until they are caught (most of the time!) They are well written, well researched stories by a very knowledgeable author. Recommended for people who like their true crime.
on 2 June 2013
I enjoyed this book, but would have preferred it to be one long true story instead of several stories. I am hooked on her books even though I have read only 2, difficult to put them down once you start reading, she really grips on the unimageable crimes ever written.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse