Customer reviews

on 12 August 2013
This is one of the better stories in a GREAT series. It is also one that does best as stand alone book, but is always richer when taken as a whole series. The world building is so complex, subtle, society and character based, the complexities of manners and protocol so developed, that every page is gripping, intelligent and intriguing. This is sci-fi at its best.

This is the tale of a mathematician, a mouse, what might have been a bullied wreck but for inner strength. It is a tale of triumph over adversity, justice, qualities (the good and the bad) hidden behind facades and yet dug up and recognised. The joy of the plots premise reaching its full potential in the end is a triumph! I couldn't put the book down, or stop thinking about it afterwards. It is not one of the complex space opera, spying, battling or technology books, it is much more and much richer than that: it is people first and tech as a product of or tool for their own hard earned work and skills.

I won't put in any plot spoilers, it's too good a book to want to take that away from any reader, besides you can get that elsewhere... can't recomend this highly enough. On my shelf in hard back. So glad its on Kindle too now.
on 29 January 2011
This is another thoroughly enjoyable read about the Liaden universe. It is a direct follow on from the book Scout`s Progress. I`d recommend reading Local Custom and Scouts Progress prior to this for maximum enjoyment. (These 2 books came out in a volume entitled Pilot`s Choice.) If you haven`t read any books by these authors, I thoroughly recommend them for a great blend of action, romance and a very enticing believable universe. A great heart warming tale. I love the fact that as the number of books grow, they are linked together. The volume " Partners in necessity" contains the 3 books, Conflict of honours, Agent of Change, and Carpe Diem. These are my favourite Liaden stories so far and tell the stories of children of the first 3 books above. I do feel that Conflict of Honours etc had more action than Mouse and Dragon. All I can say is I have all these authors books. Buy them you won`t regret it.Mouse And Dragon (Liaden Universe Novel)
on 17 September 2012
I am a big Liaden fan and Aelliana and Daav are two of my favourite characters so can't wait for the next development in the main story. This 'step back' filled a gap for me while waiting for the next one.
on 19 June 2013
I am a big fan of the Liaden series but I think this is one of the weaker books. On the other hand the prequel is excellent.