on 1 February 2016
difficult to rate because, due to the author's unexpected death, it is an unfinished work. but it was relentlessly downbeat. the format of writing the conversations in note form, then revising them for the book resulted in repetitions which sometimes made me think 'Hey, haven't I already read that. ' All grist for the mill as far as Ava devotees are concerned. I would have liked to learned more about the fun.
3 people found this helpful
on 2 February 2014
Being of an age that I recall a lot of the people discussed in the book I found it very interesting. It was very well written by a very accomplished author who was not allowed by Ava Gardner to finish the autobiography as originally planned. This book is based on the conversations between the author and Ava Gardner made at the time with the intention of producing an autobiography. The only disappointment for me was that it was obviously an incomplete set of conversations as aspects of her life were still not covered and I thought it a little short. Even so it was a good read.
on 20 April 2017
The no frills private Ava Gardner comes across brilliantly in this book, although clearly in the autumn of her life still it would seem a force of nature .
on 14 August 2013
First book I've read about the actress. Interesting insights into movie business at that time. Ava comes across as a very difficult person to work with. Not much detail of her life with Frank Sinatra as she didn't want to discuss it. Feels like you don't really get a full biography of her life as she wanted to control what people read about her; what comes across is that the author tried really hard to find out all he could.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 23 September 2013
For those who love Hollywood Stars from this era, this book is a must, Ava Gardner is one of the most beautiful icons from this time and this book is a 'have to read' I couldn't put it down from the first page and just know I will read it again and again, a wonderful insight of her life from a bygone era
3 people found this helpful
on 29 September 2014
In my young days I used to look like her, hence getting all the books about her.

I was sadly surprised at her " Vulgar " language and promiscuous behaviour .

Still the most beautiful woman in the world Pity her ugly nature.
on 15 August 2017
Given as a gift. Gratefully appreciated, thank you.
on 27 May 2017
Very pleased
on 3 January 2014
Bit disappointed as it seemed to 'roam'. going bac k and forth. she says he says so couldn'y actually get down to a good read.It's OK but wuldn't have bought it had I realised. Delivered very quickly.
2 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 4 May 2014
Although I have always been a movie fan, I have never had time for the personal lives and nonsense spouted by "Stars 'n Celebrities (Whatever they are?). BUT Ava, what a read! She sure was special. Peter Evans was wiley and courageous and produced a brilliant result from the conversations. Great stuff! Her best film for me was Night of the Iguana.
2 people found this helpful