on 14 January 2012
I saw this in Watkins and as I liked Steering by Starlight I had a browse and bought it. I guess that makes me a member of the Team (defined in the book).

I find the way that she puts together information, taking basic building blocks from other people, simplifying them and giving them a catchy title oddly compelling, and actually very powerful.

What I don't like about her books is she provides far too much detail about her private life in a way that doesn't provide anything that helps you integrate her lessons. This time it is repeated visits to the Londolozi nature reserve. You could easily edit the book down to two thirds the size.

The book is about manifestation, and there are four parts to it that build up: wordlessness, oneness, imagination and forming.

Wordlessness is the same as stillness, ie getting into a quiet state (with perhaps more emphasis on the non verbal), oneness is feeling your connection to what she calls the Energy Internet (catchy title), imagination is imagining what you want to happen and forming it is bringing it into the material world. She uses such exercises as bending spoons (not tried that yet bought some in the 99p shop), the catch up exercise from Month Roberts, shaking to remove stress and Les Fermis Open Focus (also in Steering by Starlight.

I though the explanation of and use of the catch up was very good, as she showed it was also a principle of manifestation, you let money catch up with your for example.

Depending on where you are on the path you might find this book very useful or a bit basic. Definitely need your highlighter though.

Incidentally the cover of the US version looks 10 times better.
on 22 June 2013
This book isn't like the other books by Martha Beck that I have read. It is not a self-help book in the same sense as her others.
She describes her experiences in Africa and working with others whom she describes as way finders or menders. Those in society globally who realise that there is something magical in working with nature and following your own path (whatever that may be).
Buy it if you are looking for something different from the usual Secret type manifestation book, it comes across as watered down shamanism but was an interesting read.
I was interested enough to look on the author's website to see how much the retreats in Lodolozi were as it seemed a magical place - over $16000 dollars - slightly out of my price range!!
on 7 August 2014
This book really excels and speaks to me. Unlike some reviewers, I liked the way that Martha Beck put this together with her personal experiences. Why not? It is she who decided to write it this way and if you allow it, it works. I realised, as I got into this book that I would get much more from it if I read it slowly and steadily. When I reached the end, then I reviewed it just for me, to remind me of the core thoughts. I should add that whilst reading this I also consumed "The Message of a Master" and "Just Ask the Universe"; for me, this work by Martha Beck is the one with real strength
on 9 June 2016
I have just finished this book and am reading it again for the second time, feeling that I have gained so much already but that reading again will help to strengthen my (now daily) practice of the techniques that I learned first time round. I love reading so the wordiness of the book, and all the anecdotes, really enhanced this book for me. I heard of her because she is referenced in one of Lissa Rankin's books.
The most astonishing change that Martha's book has brought me so far is that I look forward to practicing the four steps. Almost overnight I found I could sit in a style of meditation (she wouldn't call it that!) for up to 30 minutes, and that some obvious change was happening... I love having a variety of ways to acheive particular states of consciousness, bringing in wildlife and relationships in a way that feels active rather than passive.
I find the concepts and the science engaging and intriguing. I have read a ton of self-help books but never before have I come a cross one that feels so right and easy to implement. She also writes that it won't appeal to everyone- I do feel that I have come to it at the right time in my life, having just recovered from one of the life-changing experiences that she describes as a sort of catalyst to finding a new way of being. Martha also says that working through the techniques will take a lot of deep practice, so it's not a quick-fix book at all which is important to be aware of.
on 22 December 2013
It really makes a change for the Author to put themselves in the book their writing, which makes you study what they are saying more to experience similar outcome to what they have already achieved. Great book I recommend people to read if you are looking for your true purpose or calling in life ...
on 23 May 2014
A really interesting read I would recommend reading Martha Becks other book Finding Your North Star first so you get to know Her as I think you need to be even more open minded to appreciate this one. Certainly gives you plenty to think about!
on 12 April 2014
A lot of what the other reviewer said was also my experience reading this book. I've read other books by Martha which i liked and was looking forward to reading and wanted to learn more about the topics Martha shared about so was quite disappointed. I would also identify as right brained and also like a bit of sharing by an author but I found it so rambling and difficult to read that I gave up before the end. I did read a few bits that were interesting and some of get ideas I think are spot on, around thriving in todays changing world but all in all just too winding and randomly written for me unfortunately.
on 6 May 2016
SUPERB BOOK. ALTERED MY VIEW OF LIVING A SATISFYING LIFE. THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ OF THIS GENRE. PLEASE READ THIS BOOK IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE.
on 20 March 2015
I didn't want this book to end..what a wonderful book to journey with. Well written, engaging, absorbing and most of all transformative.
on 4 June 2014
The 'meaning' in this book could have been encapsulated within a brochure. I found the cutesy style irritating and banal.