on 12 January 2018
A wade through a swamp of journalistic science. Nothing may be something after all. Or is it? As one progresses one gets the impression that this is not deep science but someone's opinion, albeit an erudite one.
on 20 June 2013
Few authors mangle the English language as well as Krauss, but fewer still manage to bring as much clarity to such complex ideas - a paradox, certainly but Lawrence Krauss is a genius and this is a remarkable book.

Doubtless, much will be made of his tortuous efforts to define "nothing", but for me, Krauss' definition is eminently more satisfying that the simple declaration that "nothing" is the absence of anything (or everything) and as science continues to mature, I sense that Krauss' view of the universe will prove more accurate than that of his critics. That Dawkins compares this book with On The Origin of Species says more than any drivel that I can cobble together: that alone makes this wonderful book worth reading.
on 8 June 2018
I was hooked by the free sample but after that it just went totally beyond my feeble brain and I suspect most people's. No doubt an interesting book if you have a science degree.
on 1 November 2014
Got to be a difficult read, but I learned some good stuff that allowed me to update my own ideas. He comes across as very certain about the physics of creation. But in a recent TV programme about Black Holes, he admits that the laws of physics cannot be applied to the singularity at the centre of Black Holes, nor to the singularity existing before the big bang... So what does he really know. Tommy Cooper pulled a rabbit out of a hat with nothing in it. Krause tries to do the same with the whole Universe. I'm not convinced he managed it.
on 22 June 2015
Not having ever studied physics, 90% of this book went "over my head". For the 10% that "went in", it was worth the read! A book that reveals just how much we do know and how much we do not know about the fascinating universe we live in. A book that should make the most fundamentalist creationist "rethink" but then again, these people are impervious to logic and reason and established facts! The author goes out of his way to explain very complex concepts in easy to understand language. Recommended.
on 7 July 2014
I found it quite confusing at times, but the book does talk about some difficult subjects. There are some great statements in there that make it worth while though. It wet my appetite for more of the same, and the same author too!

I do recommend it even if its not such a simple read.
2 people found this helpful
on 31 July 2015
Brilliant scientist and clear teacher. Fascinating details about cosmology and a real sense of awe and wonder from him. However, he does knock religion. It is fine to debunk fundamentalist creationists in the USA but more sophisticated theology? He makes the fundamental mistake of equating 'empty space' with 'nothing'. He has not redefiend nothing, simply explained that space has dark matter popping with energy in it. When theologians speak of creation ex nihilo, out of nothing, they really do mean NOTHING! Then he states that pictures of gravitational waves a millisecond after the Biog Bang means that metaphysics is being turned into phsyics. Not so, for anything within the phsyical universe is phsyics to begin with.
on 16 November 2014
Why is the size of the Universe not taught in schools and widely reported in the press. The universe is far more amazing than anyone could make up.

Great book, giving the latest physics that people 2000 years ago simply did not have when making up things........
on 2 April 2014
Coherent and easy to read (I have a degree in Physics that is many years old)

Not always clear where others may differ from his views though he does make it clear this is his views which is fair enough - just for the extra star I would wish to see more of the "plausible alternatives" mentioned
on 21 February 2014
This is a great summary of advances in physics in the last century. It clearly outlines the accelerating progress in physics and some of the major uncertainties remaining. It is a timely book, considering the Higgs Particle discovery recently at CERN, and observations of the background microwave radiation in our Universe.