Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Discover more Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 September 2013
It has some good tips regarding nutrition and how to handle stress, however it is VERY american and a lot of advice doesn't apply to the NHS. Also, if you have been trying longer than 6 months you might find it upsetting/annoying as she seems to have taken no longer than 4 months of trying with each pregnancy before conceiving. This apparently means she can right with authority on how it feels to have difficulty conceiving.
Also, it's a bit muddled on the evidence front as she wavers between only recommending treatments if they have a good evidence base ie. have had proper clinical trials but then goes on to say things like...My friend's friend found this happened so such and such must be true?!!
All in all, wouldn't recommend, you are better off reading online information such NHS choices or [...]
on 12 May 2013
Dispels a lot of poor info out there and made this 38 year old feel a lot more relaxed about starting a family.
on 21 April 2016
Sometimes it gets a little frustrating trying to get pregnant not everyone understands it. Reading this book was like talking it out with a friend. Really helpful tips in there. By the end of it I felt much better and more relaxed about the process
on 13 June 2016
I loved this book. It was easy to read but highly informative and answered the questions I really wanted to know. I would recommend it to anyone thinking about trying to conceive. If you can, don't leave it until you are actually trying to read this book as there is information worth knowing before you get to that stage!
on 28 April 2012
I'm not normally compelled to review books, but this one made such a positive impact on me that I just can't help but get on my soap box.

The Impatient Woman's Guide finds the perfect balance between comfortable, easy-to-read, conversational style (and if you're TTC you'll really appreciate that sisterly approach!) and REAL scientific information, that's evidence based and backed up with proper references (exactly the thing that's missing from some other fertility/TTC books).

I'm only just starting on my TTC journey, although I've been an Impatient Woman from day one; where other books made me feel guilty for taking so much care and interest (crazy obsession?!) in my fertility, this one empowers me to do so calmly, efficiently and with my eyes wide open. I can't control exactly when pregnancy will happen for me, but I can do everything possible to help it along, and feel good about doing so.

Refreshing, funny, sincere and most importantly ACCURATE, this book is a must for any woman who has squinted at an HPT, or spent hours Googling potential pregnancy symptoms during the TWW, but who is fed up (or at least somewhat cynical) of all the conflicting advice, miracle supplements and *babydust* that abounds online - and the dreaded advice to "Just relax...".
on 15 May 2016
I really loved the informal tone - it made me laugh more than once. I felt it 'spoke' to me more than some of the other choices (books) available and enlightened me...all of the things I have been worrying about were featured, with ideas of overcoming them.
The only thing that was a remote problem; is some of the medical information is specified to the US (doctors appointments/paying etc)
Other than that tiny factor it was a good, informative read - thank you
on 24 October 2014
This book is fantastic! We have been trying for 7 months to conceive baby no 2 and there's no wonder it's taking so long!! I hadn't got the right information and this book puts any uncertainty to rest! Read this book and also Marisa Peers "Trying to get pregnant (and succeeding)" and you are armed with all the HTC weaponry you need!!!
on 28 June 2013
This book is quite humourous whilst talking about a very serious subject. The book talks in detail about the best methods to get pregnant, including taking temperature to spot ovulation. This book also discusses more sensitive topics such as coping with it taking longer than hoped to get pregnant, dealing with miscarriage and other methods of becoming a mother.

After following all the advice in this book, taking my temperature religiously, timing things correctly we fell pregnant within one month (Could be fluke, but i like to think that it was just good planning and organisation! :) )

Even if it does take longer then you had hoped this book is still a good read to know that you are doing everything correctly and timing correctly to stand the best chance as the window of opportunity is so small!!
on 18 April 2015
I would not buy this book I'd you have taking charge of your fertility, which I would higher reccomend. It's sketchy on facts and lacking in substance.

I would use it more as a springboard for other research, it might tell you about something, temperature charting for example, but not in enough detail to really interpret charts.

Another worthwhile book is sperm meets egg, which is free on kindle.
on 15 October 2014
I found this book very insightful, whilst being funny and informative. It was full of practical, good advice for us IWs! I followed the advice and one month after reading the book I became pregnant, after trying for 13 months. Of course it could be coincidence, but I honestly think it was the good advice of exercising more and leading a healthier lifestyle that helped.