Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 22 July 2013
This was my third Laura Griffin novel and I am happy to report that it surpassed my expectations by far. I have to disagree with a previous review that claims that Griffin's main characters in 'Snapped' are under-developed. I think some readers may expect a sharper focus on the romance in Griffin's novels, but personally I very much appreciate her ability to write a romantic suspense novel where the romance does not drown out the crime to be investigated. Griffin has a sharp eye for detail and knows how to craft a well-paced plot with just the right amount of twists and turns to keep you craving more. Don't miss out on the 'Tracers' series if you're a fan of a well-written romantic suspense novel that is not on the cheesy side. To me Griffin is one of the most promising voices in romantic suspense at the moment, and I will most certainly purchase more books by her.
on 23 July 2013
Snapped the second book I have read in the Tracers series. Snapped is number 4 and I have also read number 7. I found them to be really similar and had the some problems with each of them.

In both the books I have read so far I have really liked the storyline (even though they were really quite similar) but didn't like the main female character. I had hoped that this didn't run through the whole series, and I will continue to read them but at the moment it is looking likely to be the case.

I really love the way Laura Griffin writes her murder mystery thrillers. That aspect of the story is exciting, and exhilarating. Snapped opens with a bang and the punches keep coming. I like how it is about many different characters who are all working together to solve a case. The actual investigation is by far the best part of the book and when the writing is focused on that it is amazing.

It is with the characterisation and the romance that this book lost points with me. Every book I have read in this series so far is centred on an annoying female character. Twice now I have come across the same characteristics and irritating ticks. Sophie's life is in danger so she seems to go out of her way to make things as difficult as she possibly can for the people who are trying to help her. She is stubborn, she inserts herself into an investigation and seems to think she is above the law and better than anyone else. She is exactly the same as the female character in the other book I read from this series.

Jonah is the guy trying to keep her Sophie is some sort of order, he is trying to solve a case and protect a woman who is intent on doing anything in her power to make his life as difficult as possible, no wonder he seemed drawn and tired all the time. I quite liked Jonah and would have liked to have known more about him but he was swallowed by Sophie.

The romance lacked chemistry and substance. Sophie seemed to think that if she wanted something from a man sleeping with him was the only way to do it. When she wants to stay at Jonah's house she wears a skimpy outfit and racy underwear to get what she wants. I never felt like the romance was level, Jonah seemed to care about her a lot more than she seemed to care about him. The love scene just seemed to happen and there was little feeling involved.

I was hoping that Snapped would be better than the other Tracers book I read but it was about the same. The thriller aspects were top notch but the romance and characters disappointing.
on 19 February 2012
The book was not bad, the action, mystery was there, but it was lacking in romance parts; other than some in depth sex scenes, the sexual attractiveness does not necessitate love and this is where the romance failed for me.
I find it hard to connect with the main characters and was looking for their characterisation development and disappointedly, there was no foundation for their prefessed feelings. I wanted to see more thoughts from the hero and heroin, as it was not explained why he fall in love with her and her with him.

On a positive note, Sophie was more developed and we could see some glimpse of her emotions and feelings towards Jonah, but I did not like one scene when Sophie was really scared and so the most logic thing to do was go to Jonah, as she felt safe with him, he was not there so she waited for him. When he came back, he was not happy her being in his house and being first concern with his career, rather than with her. Needless to say, some readers may prefer the main focus on the action rather than romance part, so it is fair to say that it deserves 3 stars for a good solid suspense, complexity of assassins motivations and interesting, believable plot full of action and mystery.
on 8 February 2016