on 24 May 2011
The latest entry in the New Frontier series is another disappointment. It makes for a very quick read that hardly justifies the trade paperback format and accompanying inflated price tag. My experience with it wasn't helped by the complete lack of memorability of 'Treason', the previous book in the series.

In 'Blind Man's Bluff', the aliens from 'Treason' are out for revenge, attacking Captain Calhoun on his home planet of Xenex, while he is also under assault from forces closer to home, including Morgan, the self-aware computer aboard the starship Excalibur.

As much as I used to love New Frontier, I've either grown out of it or it has lost its way. The plot is extravagant and unbelievable, and totally disconnected from the continuing storylines that other Star Trek authors are writing. The characters, once a rich, varied group, have been replaced with bland two-dimensional cardboard cut-outs, none of whom seem to have any existence except to be the butt of jokes from the superhero Calhoun has become.

Despite all this the book does have a few good points. There are some amusing moments (Doctor Who references) and for the most part the narrative is well written, it's really just the plot that lets it down. I imagine that for old time's sake I'll continue to read New Frontier when it comes along again, but I'm not going to find myself annoyed by the inevitable protracted delays to the publication date.
on 22 July 2011
I have followed 'New Frontier' since I read book 1 when I got given a free copy with the old Star Trek Magazines I used to buy. I read it, thought id try books 2 and 3, and by the time the original 4-part series had finished, it had captivated me with its use of familiar secondary characters and an interesting new captain and ship.
Over the years ive always been highly excited on a new 'New Frontier' novel on the shelfs.. in a way its Star Trek for people who love Star Trek but want that edge to the show that a TV series could never provide.. a theoretical world where a Captain could do what he wants when he wants and for-go the consequences.
The events around the time of book 8 that lead into the 3-part 'Excalibur' trilogy was an exciting wait for me, and even the books after that was an interesting read.
Nowadays, I want to still be excited by a New Frontier novel, a small part of it is still there, but there really does feel something gone now. In a small way I think its just the passage of time and getting older - the New Frontier novels have always been excellent about 'changes' more akin to real life changes (ie people aren't going to be the same as they were 10 years ago), but the writing style is still there.

So, pro's and cons in my view :- It's still New Frontier, and Peter David is still out to see a story that engages as many of the characters he's created over the years and bring out character traits we recognize and new directions from the all. Thats great. However their initial mission in Thallonian space has come to an end and now they are just getting caught up in something or other rather randomly. Maybe this is unavoidable story-wise but has a slight aimless feel to it.
Captain Calhoun is a great creation - however, is anybody else just a tad tired of reading how he is practically 'super-human' in every endeavour? I think this is a Peter David trait, as in alot of story points, where the reader can pick up on what he is trying to say, David has a habbit of over-explaining the point just so the reader is definately aware of what is being pointed out.

There also used to be the idea of a couple of novels per year, but now its one book every 2-3 years, probably because Peter David is wrapped up in many long running projects and trying to keep many fans happy, but now it seems like a one off return novel then a long running return series, and in some cases it really can be hard to remember what occured before. Also, it sounds a bit nit-picking, but the actual covers of the books themselves used to look alot more exciting - a ship, a character from the story - now we just have a starfleet badge on a planet?? Doesn't build up much excitement...

Im left at a point where I don't know if to say they need to wrap up New Frontier and leave the 15 years of memories as a great period, or keep it going for another 10 years and get a slight diluted excitement to each incoming novel, because I don't want to stop reading at the same time, or even suggest that another author gives it a go to see how it comes out.
on 19 January 2013
This book left me completly dissatisfied in so many ways... It feels since the last 4 or 5 books that this isn't New Frontier anymore. The leaps in story along the series were allready
quite a disappointment for me. I wanted the characters to grow but sadly it seems to me that Peter David lost his ways in this series. I do not even go into the "ghost stories" some books ago...
The nonsenscial use of the princess as host for her brother... The sudden relationship with a woman or the senseless mass slaughter of Xenex's people and many more plot points that just, either don't fit into the series (at least in my opinion), or were simply poorly resolved to a point that I had to force myself to read through the end of the series. A pitiful ending to a once great and fun to read book series.
on 2 February 2012
I am a New Frontier fan and I was looking forward to this book with great anticipation.
Peter David continues to write great stories and great charactorisations, bringing in some Voyager famous names and a great reference to the Doctor (very clever as a Doctor Who fan it made me smile).
This book was written is such a way that timelines shifted and kept your interest and mine that much I could not put the book down. He cleverly brought together the charactors and stories in such a way you never knew what was going to happen next (except that Captain Mac would be ok as he always lives to fight another day).
The Story line was not as gripping as others but I hope this a prelude to the next big adventure. I do wish that he would write these more often as the waiting in between is not good for us fans.
If you love New Frontier, Captain Mac and his crew then read this book. I can't wait to see what happens next!!!!
on 13 October 2011
I very nearly didn't buy this novel because of these other two reviews, I am so glad that I did, if you are a fan of these novel and of Peter David then read this book! By the time it was finished I so wanted the next one. That is the only thing I do agree with is that they don't come out as fast as I would like. Everything else, just shut up. These are great stories and I don't want them to stop and am busy getting more friends and family reading these books. As always this book is great keep up the good work Mr David.
on 1 June 2012
Fine writing for one of the startrek series books and the pace is good and the story takes you along, the only reason it's not five star is the ending is a bit pants! worth a look and kept my entertained through a boring night shift
on 1 July 2015
Peter David has always kept me more than entertained while reading his stories and to know how well he has kept doing so with his Star Trek New Frontier titles is excellent and I hope he continues this for some time to come
on 22 April 2012
If you love the characters in the New Frontier series, like me, it makes you wonder what they are going to write next. Can't wait. As reviews go this is pretty brief but when something is good it doesn't need a fanfare.
on 22 May 2015
Great read and nice to see the series go to his home world.....
Just wish the author would stop killing mains off
on 3 December 2012
The series is starting to get too dark for me and I miss the humor of the earlier books in the series.