Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 22 January 2013
There was a lot to like about Killing Time, I have always been a fan of military romances but this had a little more bite than most. The real surprise here was that there was a decent plot outside of the romance. I would have still read and enjoyed this book if there was no romance at all, which is something I can't say about most military romance books. I thought this was generally quite smart, well written and brilliantly put together. The storyline held my interest and kept me entertained.

I really liked the characters they were smart and didn't dumbly stumble into dangerous situations. Eva didn't need to saved all the time, she was just as tough and capable as the men which is something I LOVED. She was smart, sassy and easy to like. Mike was great as well; he was truly a good guy who behind the tough exterior was really quite vulnerable. He was easy to swoon over and I found myself doing just that with surprising regularity.

The romance was awesome. The chemistry between Eva and Mike burst off the pages. I liked that the romantic drama was kept to a minimum and that they acted like adults when things got tough.

I did have a few problems with it though. I felt like the last third lost its way a bit. I did not enjoy it as much as the rest of the book and felt that it was maybe a little long. I also don't know why it was necessary to make Eva's ex-husband a bad guy, it served no purpose to the story apart from to make Mike look good which he needed no help with. Also towards the end there were a few to many characters and I struggled to place them all.

Killing Time does have its problems but for the most part it was extremely entertaining and is one of the smarter military romances I have read. I look forward to reading more of this series and more from this author.
on 25 January 2013
I really enjoyed this book I also liked that we caught up with some of the guys from BOI it all fit together perfectly looking forward to the next book in series and hopefully the BOI will be working with the one eyed jacks at some point again.
When the BOIs series ended with Mike 'Primetown' Brown and his brother flying in to the rescue, I knew there'd be another series to take up where BOI left, with at least two books to come, and in this tale, we get introduced to Taggart and Cooper (can't remember which, but one's been working as a model!) so you just know that there will be at least 3, if not 4 tales to come. Yeah!

This was a worthy successor to BOI - a decent plot/plotting and planning against the US/decent leads - Eva was level-headed, strong, independent and mature (though I personally think that she should have had a touch more angst over falling for the guy her late husband hated - that got glossed over a bit, as if chemistry took over), Mike was the strong, silent, stoic type, but open enough to listen to sense/great chemistry between the leads and the start of a HEA at the end of the book, and as an added bonus, we got to check in with at least a couple of the BOI guys. Mean Joe Green is Mike's contact in the US, and we hear that he and Stephanie are a team affiliated with the Secretary of Defense's (her mum) office, we get to see Gabe and Jenna living their HEA, complete with kiddie and kiddie-to-be, and we know the same of Amy and Dallas (The Bodyguards), at the end of the tale, the One-Eyed Jacks get offered a similar deal to the BOI guys, meaning that we'll be seeing more of the latter in future tales.

Unlike the other reviewer, I don't think that this tale slowed down at all, though I did wonder about Eve and Mike going in under cover - surprise, surprise, not, they got discovered - but it did provide a great opportunity for the O-EJs to reunite and for the BOIs to return Mike's IOU and come to the rescue.

A decent read, on a firm par with BOI, and hopefully with more of the BOI team to be seen in future books. There doesn't seem to be any info on timescales on the author's website, but hopefully it won't be too long before we hear more.
on 18 April 2013
I buy all CG books and without a
doubt they are all exciting, emotional gripping and funny and books to keep. I always await the next book.
on 31 May 2013
I am dreading the end of this series of books as the characters are so good and I have been hooked from the start. Thank heavens a new series is on the way.