on 22 January 2013
This textbook should be essential for every medical student on their cardiology rotation. It explains concepts so clearly that even students as thick as me can understand concepts that may seem confusing. It even has a chapter on investigagtions and the longest chapter is on drugs - about 50 pages. Understanding is the key to remembering facts and you will realise how little you know once you've read this book.

I even bought it for a friend when she began her cardiology rotation. If there is anything that ever confuses you in cardio, read this book and you'll get ti sorted out in no time.

Of course, it is lacking on the clinical side, so I would suggest you refer to other texts for that. After all, this is entitled "pathophysiology".
on 21 April 2011
I was quite content with my combination of Guyton Physiology and Robbins Pathology during my module on the cardiovascular system. Then one day, I came across this book in the medical school library and it has now become a constant companion during PBL sessions and exam revision.

The scope of this book is breathtaking. It covers the anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, histology and pharmacology of the cardiovascular system, and even manages to integrate detailed clinical medicine, embryology, biochemistry, immunology, haemotology, epidemiology and clinical examination. This may not seem that impressive considering how many "all in one" review books there are for the cardiovascular system (including entries in the "Crash Course" and "at a glance" series) but this mini-textbook is in a league of its own, combining excellent readability with an inherent clinical focus that makes the basic sciences very interesting to learn in the context of heart disease.

The prose is very easy to read and detailed yet concise. Important concepts are covered in the context of their importance in pathological conditions, e.g. discussion of afterload, preload and Frank-Starling relationship is followed immediately by how these are affected by cardiac failure and focus then shifts to the pathophysiology, clinical presentation, tests, diagnosis and management of cardiac failure. The descriptions are easy to follow and the the three-colour diagrams are almost always excellent. The summary tables spread throughout the book are brilliant for quick revision after you've mastered the concepts explained within the main body of text. The physiology of ECG, an often tricky concept for the newcomer, is another strength and, though it isn't a lengthy exposition on how to explain away every ECG, I thought the topic was explained well and I often find myself referring to Lily for anything related to the basic physiology of ECGs.

I even found some of the papers referenced at the end of each chapter to be interesting and it was reassuring to known that information within this book is drawn from renowned "speciality" books like Braunwald's Heart Disease, Katz's Physiology of the Heart and Dubin's Interpretation of EKGs. You also get access to an online version of the book and the "heart sounds" software, which I am yet to evaluate.

I have exhausted my library of superlatives during the course of this review but I would emphasise in the end that this is a simply outstanding book; it is perhaps the finest of the 30+ medical books I have purchased this year. Almost essential for PBL courses, good for revision, even those who have a general physiology/pathology text would find this book delightful to read and use.
on 16 August 2011
As a medical student, I'm happy that I bought this book for my cardio block. Has a chapter on all the big topics you'd expect, and does so in an accessible, easily understood language. The text of this book is excellent, but it could use more images and better images overall. If you're a visual learner like I am, you might need to augment some concepts with pictures and graphs from other sources, but overall this book is great.
on 17 January 2016
Great in depth book about heart disease . Great for medical and healthcare professional students . Perfect for those specialising in cardiology
on 28 December 2011
This is an absolutely superb book. I'm a second year medical student at UEA, just started my cardiology unit, and I've found it gives me just the right amount of detail about everything I need to know. It's chapter on ECGs is especially helpful and allowed me to get to grips with that usually quite difficult part of cardio very quickly. It's easy to read and is great as a reference text and as a main study text. A must-buy for all medical students.
on 6 September 2015