Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 February 2014
a very good plot however i did feel as through the plot was skipping from one events to another. but overall a very good book that i would recommend to any who us a fan of Ola Wegner or Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy
VINE VOICEon 17 October 2014
I really enjoyed the book The Engagement Ola Wegner, so I was expecting to enjoy this book too. Sadly, I was disappointed. Many things jarred with me while reading it. (Yes I know I read the entire thing).

I almost gave up on it a couple of times because of a plethora of editing errors and some of the language used that was much too modern for a book set in this time.

Prime examples are: Mr Darcy called his sister Georgiana "Sweetie" several times. It would have been more fitting if the word Sweeting had been used. Sweeting is an archaic form of usually Sweetheart/Darling which would have sounded much better. Another word that had me rolling my eyes was scumbag, which is a word that Mr Darcy used to describe the villain in the book. It was not a term that came into general use until 1967 or thereabouts.

Other things that bothered me was that Elizabeth was totally out of character here and came across as childish and spoiled on several occasions, nothing at all like the bold heroine in the original source material. I wasn't 100% sure what to make of this incarnation of Mr Darcy either. The plot was a little too melodramatic for my liking, but I read it all nonetheless, so it wasn't all bad.
on 16 February 2014
I started reading this with some hope and enjoyed it to a point despite it nearly loosing me with the fist introduction of the 'extra'. It all too soon became too far fetched for my liking.
The story starts at an acceptable pace - but there is a rushed feeling about the writing to get you somewhere, having got there I was quite disappointed at the outcome.

I made it to the end, but it is not a book I will revisit.
on 31 December 2014
despite numerous editing mistakes where we were given a choice of two words [sepaated by a /] I found the premise intriguing. other editing mistakes indicate lack of proof reader but I must admit this seems not uncommon across a range of authors. I was pleased with the fact that Lizzy felt the attraction immediately and altogether a different take on the story. I enjoy Ola Wegner's work.
on 25 January 2014
A really strong but moving tale about Darcy and Elizabeth told in detail and thoughtfully. The jump from newly weds to several years later without explanation about the fire leaves this reader wanting just a little bit more!
on 28 November 2015
Agree entirely with Vine voice over the errors[and I don't think cookies had made their way over the Atlantic. They were[and still are] biscuits].] -nor do I think the Sheraton workshop would have produced a Vanity; in England it would have been[and still is] a dressing table. Of course I can't get enough of Elizabeth and Darcy so I read on regardless but wish there were fewer scenes in the bedroom .Once we know they have achieved conjugal felicity anything else comes over as titillation or wishful thinking!