Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 March 2012
As an ageing boulderer (rock climber), gymnast and runner, I have been trying to reduce my weight and relatively increase my muscle mass for a while now, with some success. Much of my information has come from trawling blogs and online discussions from body builders, weight lifters, gymnasts and runners. According to Dan's book, I haven't been doing too badly, but there are some things I misunderstood and will now be able to improve upon. Reading the book was a breeze, in fact I felt like a sponge gleefully soaking up much needed water and went from cover to cover in 3 days. In short, my nutrient timing is not optimal - not eating enough before running, nor eating or drinking during running - I probably over-indulge on protein powder, don't eat enough and certainly don't drink enough. A great book, which at times became a bitter but necessary pill to swallow.
on 14 November 2014
If you are interested in the science behind nutrition and sports-specific application then this is one of the books I'd recommend. Comprehensive material that focuses primarily on the sports application without going too in-depth in relation to the science behind the body and its processes as respects nutrition.

If you are training for an event, this book is definitely one to read. Not necessary for enthusiasts or people who pursue sports in their spare time but still worth a read nonetheless.
on 14 March 2012
This is a really great book for professional and amateur alike. Covers all the basics as well as a good amount of detail, and is backed up by all the latest scientific research. It has changed the way I train and I only wish I'd read it years ago.
on 28 January 2013
Really informative book. With having two athletes in the family this book has brought a wealth of information. A must for anyone who wants to get and understand their nutritional needs.
on 22 June 2013
I am a Dietitian and wanted to refresh my knowledge of sports nutrition. A really good read, lots of useful information.
Thanks
on 29 May 2014
Can't rate this book highly enough!! If you have scientific mind and a keen interest in the nutritional side of the sports world, this is the book for you!! It's clearly written, goes into plenty of depth and explains everything so well.

The author enables the reader to understand how the body processes ingested food and drink, before proceeding to explain how (and why!) to fuel the body for a more optimal performance.

Oh, and it's fully referenced throughout too, which makes life easy if you need to pull up a few journals for study or just for interest.

I hope he writes more books in the future! :)
on 3 February 2013
excellent book but it's very scientific. You probably have to have a good sports science knowledge to understand this book though.
on 8 October 2013
I used this book to help me to write a report for my sports nutrition degree at university. It was more than helpful and full of detail.
on 15 December 2015
This was invaluable for my sports nutrition assignment & explained everything I needed to know!
on 7 August 2015
Very informative book. good read would recommend. not sure about eh cover tho.