Customer reviews

on 12 July 2013
The Jonestown mass suicide still intrigues after all this time. I bought this book wanting to find some answers to why some people feel compelled to join cults and sects. I didn't find this story gave me any answers at all, in fact the author seems supportive of the cult, even though it was proven to be chaotic with a violent, crazed leader. Its a very uncritical account,an almost glamorous account. I wonder how impartial the author is, even after all this time. She admits she readily joined a couple of other cults soon after Jonestown collapsed so destructively. She seems to need the support of a cult to find meaning, what these gave her was still unclear, a sense of belonging I guess she cant find within herself or in mainstream society. If you want answers or a deep insight into the cult and what really went on within it, don't bother with this, in fact I wouldn't bother at all, its not in the least interesting, too subjective and a thinly disguised 'pro Jonestown agenda'.