on 30 March 2012
I was just reading this for the JQuery really - I've read about Javascript before and not really been able to use it too much, but now I see JQuery as an easy way to leverage the power of Javascript on your site.

This cookbook-type manual contains common recipes (such as an animated menus, sliders, form validation or adding Google maps) that are the tip of the iceberg of jQuery functionality, but this book opened the door for me to be able to enhance my sites in the most common (and useful) ways that jQuery offers, and I still haven't read the chapter on "regular expressions" yet.

It does seem to contain a few typos and the demo files that I downloaded had a blooper in them that confused me for a while, but this book has been very useful and I think anybody will instantly be able to add common jquery enhancements to their site by simply copying the examples from the book.
7 people found this helpful
on 20 March 2017
I'm reviewing the 2nd edition of this book. It has only a very brief coverage of Javascript; if you don't already know JS it would be best to get a separate book for that. It's main concentration is on jQuery, for which it's a good introduction. It can't cover everything but explains the basics. Once you get the hang of how jQuery works, the jQuery online documentation is very comprehensive, but what the documentation doesn't give is complete examples. It's also helpful to look at other people's code (download the development version of a plugin instead of the minimised version and look at it in an editor). I think the 3rd edition has more coverage of jQuery-UI, which is a collection of modules built on top of jQuery to provide specific features like tabbed panels, datepicker, etc.
on 1 April 2013
I wrote an extensive review of David Sawyer McFarland's (DSM) CSS book. I have become quite the fan.
The thing with Javascript and with Jquery is that you can basically do just about anything and go from very basic useful scripts all the way to creating professional online games that are networked. DSM keeps the focus of this book on non-programmers who want to add useful effects and interactivity to their web pages. It's not particularly advanced, but it is very well explained and gives (IMO) an excellent and very gently sloping introduction to all the key aspects of using JQuery (there are 3 introductory chapters on Javascript and they are useful but quite pared down)

I think this book is a great place to start so that you 'get' the philosophy of JQuery (which is gorgeously well made I think) and then if you want to become some kind of Ninja or guru, there are quite a few other books out there that will push the envelope.
I read it prior to going to a course on .net server side development and I think it did the job I now feel pretty confident that I understand the thinking behind JQuery.

it covers pretty much everything from how JQuery uses CSS selectors to home in on the DOM , to having useful ways of hiding and showing extra panels, using very sophisticated JQuery plugins for photo galleries, forms handling and validation and finally to Ajax with a simple but instructive pair of examples.

As usual with DSM the book is very well written, quite witty and has an excellent easily downloadable set of tutorial files, that all work. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to get their feet wet with JQuery and after that, there are many other sources of info for deepening that knowledge. More and more I find that once you have a way 'in' to a technology, you've conquered half the problem. You start to grasp the thinking behind the design and what the possibilities are. This book is a great 'in' I think.
One person found this helpful
on 24 April 2013
Although I can't yet compare it to other javascript/jquery books, I've read lots of technical books of this sort and this compares well in terms of readability and depth. Style is good and the delivery relaxed and friendly. I particularly like the extensive cross-referencing so if you're the middle of a topic, and can't remember something it's based on, the hyperlink takes you to the section you need to recap.
Read this and you won't want to do without jquery. Start with a javascript only book and you would waste a lot of time.
It's not so much a manual as a guide but to me that's a positive thing. It's definitely bootstrapped my understanding and plans
2 people found this helpful
on 19 November 2012
Great book. Must dive back into it though!
Emphasis is on jQuery, though you the reader, receive a tutorial on Javascript fundamentals for first 1/4 of the book which I found helpful & will now have to read over again.
I really rate the 'Missing Manuals' series, well written & easyto follow; having worked through the CSS one from front to back, which also gives a *brief* intro into CSS3 at the end of the book.

Fantastic book & an essential one, for any aspiring designer of web pages. No 'one foot in' with this book, just open it, start reading/note-taking & do the tutorials, even if they're showing something you know already or feel is dull/irrelevant.

Thumbs up from me.

(Delivered to me whilst in Korea too, only took a week!)
on 7 October 2012
I have mixed feelings towards this book. I guess your expectations will shape your experience with this book. If your aim is to learn quickly how to add nice stuff to your web pages, then this is a great book. It's very clear and you are nowhere stuck. Each example is properly explained step by step.
If on the other hand you want to learn JavaScript - the language - to develop in JavaScript, I don't think this is the proper book.
10 people found this helpful
on 20 August 2013
This is the first time I log in to write a review for a book and I do so, because this book is so well written that it totally deserves it. I have read many programming books, but this is hands down the most well written, best explained and easy to follow book. I even considered using it for teaching programming to students, because it's very easy to follow and to the point.

+ easy to read and to the point
+ good exercises written in a way that makes it very easy to complete and see the results
+ everything contained is thoroughly explained

- is probably going too slow and is very repetitive, which I didn't mind since it helps printing what you learn well in your mind. You can skip many sentences, paragraphs or even sections, if you want to go fast, but it gives such a feeling of thoroughness that personally didn't mind reading the same concept being explained again and again.
3 people found this helpful
on 1 February 2014
A well written book that takes you through everything you need to know to get you started on Javascript and Quert. I'm an experienced coder and, although some of the examples get a bit detailed, I found it easy to work my way through and learn the fundamentals. The writing style follows a distinct pattern so it's easy to skip over detail and pick up the important content.

I'm now in the process of applying what I learnt from the book and I realise it's going to take practice to really understand the rules and nuances of the language/library. The examples in the book help show the features but the real world is a lot more complicated. Be prepared to stumble on real projects - but at least you'll know enough to make forward progress and become skilled over time.

The book could do with updating as it's a few years old and this whole field is changing fast but, even so, I now understand how everything I see on a web page is done (e.g. Amazon) and have been energised with a new set of tools to create my own internet masterpiece.

Highly recommended for all levels.
on 27 June 2013
If you're a coder looking to get into javascript and using jquery this pretty much has it all. It starts off basic and covers the fundamentals well but is all about implementation. This is a book you can use, not just read and then read again because the first pass didn't sink in. It's not even worth thinking about. Buy it.
2 people found this helpful
on 20 August 2012
I had followed some on-line JavaScript tutorials and was now looking to learn a bit more and also to have a book to which I could turn for reference. I found this book to be ideal. It quickly covers the JavaScript elements before moving quite quickly onto the jQuery stuff. The tutorials are very detailed and can be worked through with confidence and it's also useful if you need to look up something about which you're a bit uncertain.