Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 March 2011
I'm not a programmer or IT person - but have got some experience with databases. I foolishly thought that I'd be able to work out Access 2010 just by playing with it, but kept hitting all those infuriating built-in idiocies that it has (like having to delete relationships before you can create a look-up that requires the relationship you have to delete!) Finally decided that I needed a decent guide. Luckily I found this book.

I've used many manuals for different topics of varying degrees of usefulness over the years, but this is amongst the very best. It avoids space-wasting and patronising talk, yet is gently humorous. It is very very well structured, has brilliant little worked examples and takes an intelligent route through the jungle of things you need to know. It also gives sensible warnings about likely problems and pitfalls. So far it has managed to answer every question I have thrown at it. It goes from absolute basics all the way through macros up to SQL and VB. So far, the first half of the book has been more than enough to justify its purchase. It also allows access to an online version for 45 days (not terribly useful; would rather get a free pdf as similar titles offer). Amazingly, I haven't yet come across a single misprint or typo (the kind that has you flustered for days trying to work out what is wrong.)

All in all, a thoroughly good book that does exactly what it says on the cover. Highly recommended.
on 5 July 2011
This is a broad-ranging manual which goes from the basic elements right through to advanced stuff such as writing code and sharing data on servers. It is a fairly thick volume (at 800+pages), and tightly packed with detail. It is a rather plain book, illustrations are all black-and-white and there is nothing fancy, but it is very well organised, and focused on really useful information. For example, one of the revised features of Access 2010 is the macro builder, and there is some very helpful stuff here about using the new-style macros. You don't get a CD with this book because all of the working files used in the book (- and there are some good practical database examples) are downloadable free from the Missing Manuals website.
An absolute beginner might prefer one of the colourful step-by-step guides, or someone who likes jokes could try the "For Dummies" series, but personally I really liked this book and thought it easily the best serious manual on Access 2010 available, by a significant margin (- and that includes the publications from Microsoft Press).
on 21 June 2011
Really great way in to Access 2010, best if you understand basic database theory. Gives you a way in to using all the main features in a short time. Not deep or a reference manual but I could always find help quickly for the things I wanted to do. I found it pitched at just the right level for easy reading with good ideas and practice illustrated. I have moved from Access 2003 which was really hard work, 2010(2007) is a great step forward and this book gets you going quickly.
on 3 November 2011
I decided I wanted to learn how to use Access effectively, so that I could come up with new ideas and tools at work, and to better my CV.

This book is great. It is suitable for someone who has not used Access before but quickly moves on to the practical, useful tools.

If Access is all you're interested in then this book is for you, but I also believe this is a good introduction to databases too. Using Access it explains basic database theory, and I have just ordered an SQL book to carry on learning, beyond the limitations of Access.

Definitely recommend!
on 24 October 2011
As stated in some of the other reviews, this book is great if you are a newbee like me. I would imagine it would be a waste of time reading it if you're allready a database guru and just want to know the changes from older versions of Access and the 2010 version.
On the other hand if you are new to Access, this book teaches all you need to know: Not only how the interface works but also how to create and maintain a database regardless of the software.
Access is very complex software but with this book and a little knowledge about using Windows, you will be off to a good start. Lots of good illustrated examples too.
on 12 January 2013
Bought via Kindle. This manual gives a good introduction to the latest Access features, including web forms, with plenty of practical examples, tips and tricks. Useful for beginners and those who need bringing up to speed.
on 22 October 2011
Very good manual. I have used the older Access to amend databases, but never started one from scratch. This is very helpful.
on 25 April 2013
For a previous version of Access I had tried to follow the instructions in the the Access for Dummies book, but struggled with the explanations so wanted another option for Access 2010. Having read reviews for Access 2010 The Missing Manual, I thought I would give it a try. It was an excellent decision. The instructions are clear to follow and are written in a non-technical language which is easy to understand. My only problem is trawling through the index for something that I don't know the technical name for.
on 9 May 2012
I've been stuggling to discover the limitations of MS Access for long time. The book covers this in a concise, easy to understand chapter. Helps decide where Access is the best platform for a project and how to move on if not.

Much of the content is basic, but does really fill the gap between too basic and too advanced.
on 26 November 2012
This book is extremely well written and can take a novice and give them the information they need to run an access database to a professional level. It is as the book says the missing manual. I am an experienced DBA for a company and normally just use an MS SQL server and code in VB for front end work but recently had a rush job and decided to use access to deliver a solution quickly and then later up size. my access skills were a bit rusty so I purchased this book as a guide more than anything else but so found myself reading it through and learnt some stuff along the way.
Very well presented, explained and illustrated. I downloaded the kindle version which is fine and works well but as many will tell you a hardback copy is best so you can easily scim through and find what your looking for, something that kindle does allow you to do but not the same as a real book, so after xmas I will purchase the hard copy for work.