Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 February 2014
I bought this book because my new PC was specified with Windows 8.1 and although I am an experienced with all the previous versions of Windows I gathered that 8.1 was sufficiently different that it would be beneficial to do a bit of research. I found this book comprehensive and written in a such a way that it could be read or just dipped into as necessary, it was also quite humorous. It would be useful for a relative novice but also has sufficient depth for the more experienced user. It is an American book but there is little reference to any specific American content so this is not an issue for a UK reader. There are no colour images and this on the whole is not an issue but but there are a few of the screen shots can be a little dark but are ok. I would recommend this book and also the supplier - Speedy Hen Ltd, who delivered the book within 3 days.
on 1 October 2014
Old computer, Windows XP for 8 years, great operating system. New computer, Windows 8.1 **NIGHTMARE**.
I tried hard for a couple of weeks and almost gave up. The 8.1 missing manual should definitely have been issued with any computer supplied with this OS. I do not consider 8.1 a good OS for desktops but it is more friendly after reading the manual. I highly recommend obtaining this book because anyone having used an older system will be almost starting from scratch.
(Raspberries to Microsoft)
on 16 November 2014
Having taken the jump to Windows 8.1 after loving 7 for so long since the day it came out, I thought IU better have a manual to get around the damn thing.

In fact I took to 8.1 like a duck to water. It's super cool and sexy. Loved it totally. As for the manual, well it helped a little but to be honest much if it you will only need once in a while and the net serves that purpose, and the basics helped speed up my learning, but I would have got there anyway.

The one thing I did want to know more about, One Drive, I found virtually nothing on at all.

So buy it as a fall back, but to be honest, unless you are new to windows, I can't see it serving much point other then speeding up your learning curve.

Layout and everything is fine but again when I had trouble looking how to make the apps active on my desktop, other then the basics which windows was telling me, there was little really there.

So in a nutshell, think carefully if you really need this.
on 29 March 2014
I originally ordered the Que Windows 8.1 in depth - but the publication date was many weeks away - so I cancelled it and bought this book instead.

It is a very comprehensive work on the more detailed workings of Win 8.1 - covering the features changed since Win 8.

However maybe its worth holding off buying now as Microsoft have said they are releasing yet another major upgrade to 8.1 on about 8th March 2014 - and things may change and a furthr edition of all the manuals such as this will be needed.
on 22 July 2014
Microsoft never did explain Windows 8.1 as good as this! Chapter settings are clearly set out to inform and show you what you should know (if you really don't).
The aptly-titled book is a mine of information about (almost) everything you might want to either just dip in and look up an item or description of a 'whats-it-do-then' category - often very wittily put, to lighten the mass of reading. You can put the book down if you want to take a breather and have a go! Downlaods are available via the Publishers sources given in the beginning and in various parts of the book; including erratas, to bring you up-to-date. Perhaps a little expensive for some tastes as WH Smith's overprice it, in my opinion, Worth it to and avoid the hassle of diving around in different magazines/books for the pot-pourri. BUY IT HERE!
on 6 September 2014
An absolute essential, Windows 8.1 is a worthy successor to Windows Me - the Missing Manual, Windows Vista - the Missing Manual, etc. There is nothing of Windows 8.1 that is not covered in this Manual, and the guidance and information are presented in clear, very readable form. A very useful inclusion once again is “The Missing CD”, through which, by logging on to the web site provided, every web address, practice file and piece of downloadable software mentioned in the book can be accessed. I have already downloaded the means of restoring to my Windows 8.1 the sidebar gadgets as were provided in Vista but not now in Windows 8.1. Whether new to computing or an “old hand”, this Manual is for you. It doesn’t cost the earth either. But by having it at one's side, the value-added to one's Windows 8.1 operating system is incalculable.
on 6 June 2015
Similar to two other books I bought at the same time and my comments are very similar, namely that they deal with a vast array of material but obviously cannot cope with everything or solve all our problems. I'm happy.
on 19 March 2015
Having heard all the negative press about Windows 8 I have stuck with Windows 7 until I had recently to set up a couple of W8.1 machines. All went surprisingly well part from a couple of minor issues that Windows 8.1 the missing manual soon helped with. An excellent book, easy to understand and work too.
on 15 August 2014
Wow huge and very informative. By intuition I had managed some adjustments (having moved from Windows 7) but I now have a Missing Manual with loads of bookmarks to guide me further. There were a couple of things I couldn't understand in the book because the directions were slightly obscure. On the whole worth buying.
on 28 March 2015
Having gone from XP to Windows 8.1, this title was exactly what I needed to get to grips with the set up on my new laptop. Not being at all technically minded, the explanations and examples were easy to follow. This has helped me to get started and make the best use of my new PC. Great! Have had other titles in this same series and this lives up to expectations.