Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 October 2013
This book is quite good up to chapter 3 where the user is confronted with a total overload of tools. Worse still, trying to follow the instructions there in many cases does not work. Also, various examples on the internet do not work. The problem there is the API instability of the various test tools used. Also, the explanations in the book do not help at all as there is far more too explain. Most of the explanations there raise more questions than they answer.

Then in chapter 4 I ended up almost throwing the book away because some basic concepts about the APIs are not explained. You just get shown new syntax and methods that haven't been introduced before. There I could get by by using the example code ([...] in combination with the angular js API docs ([...] The book simply shows code examples without going into any detail on the APIs and API concepts. For instance, I had to learn from the API docs that angular uses a specific method of 'Dependency Injection annotated functions', by passing either the function object or an array consisting of the names of the dependencies followed by the function at the end. Also, various concepts, like '$save' for objects obtained from REST invocations are not explained. In particular, the explanation of the module API in the angular JS docs really helped.

I also watched various introductions on the internet (search for 'AngularJS Fundamentals In 60-ish Minutes' on youtube), that are far better at explaining the core concepts than this book is.

All in all, you can learn a lot about angular js while using this compact book, but be prepared to really take extra time to watch introductions on youtube, try out things for yourself, and read the API docs. Of course, this is what you would usually do when learning a new technology, but this book could have done a lot better at helping you with this and explaining a few core concepts better.
on 9 September 2013
Whilst AngularJS is an interesting approach with a lot to offer it, it was the emphasis on testing that really got my hopes up. I'm at the point where I'd sell my soul for as smooth a test-driven development experience in JS as I have in other languages! :)
However, this book didn't really deliver on that point. The tests they set up were a massive bundle of dependencies, rather than quick, focussed, dependency-free tests of concepts. And this may come from their exactly-backwards approach to BDD -- they even say they're practicing BDD (Behaviour Driven Development), but clearly don't understand how it works. They talk about adding high-level tests as an after-thought to unit tests, maybe when your app gets more complex. This is quite wrong!
In BDD, you start with the highest level, and use that to drive down to implementation, to ensure that everything happens because of a real requirement.
The writers also push their own (to be fair, it's also AngularJS's own) integration testing framework, and even (IIRC) compare it favourably to tools like Cucumber. No. Just no. It's like the feature runners that RSpec in Rails had, ten years ago!
But that's fine.
I guess I could still use Cucumber for high-level specification of behaviour, and with some experimentation I could perhaps develop the sort of lightweight/light-dependency test suite with Jasmine that I feel is much more agile, so my issue here really is with the book, not the technology (aside from the feature runner fossil!).
So I'm disappointed, really. I'd really hoped someone was going to hold my hand and show me how to develop a fluid and fluent approach to test driving the development of front ends.
If there are any test-savvy, JS-guru, technical writing demons out there, there's still a soul to harvest, here. :)
on 14 August 2014
It's a book that targets the beginner with Angular. Javascript knowledge or experience is required before buying this book. It starts slowly with a few nice examples showing the power of Angular. But a whole chapter is about frameworks and tools to be used when programming and testing with Angular. The framework Yeoman, which the authors are quite fond of, didn't work out of the box for me. I had to google for tips on permission problems with NPM. Other frameworks were mentioned with a few examples, but to understand the possibilities of these frameworks separate reading is required. The only thing that was mentioned was: This framework is great, look into it, use Yeoman. And that's it. But how Grunt, Karma and Bower is to be configured and used (since it is used by Yeoman) remains unexplained. That's okay, but I wouldn't mention these frameworks myself.

Later an example is worked out, but then the author immediately goes into separate advanced Angular techniques without explaining them properly in advance. The step from simple data-binding and directives to advanced routing and services using promises is quite big.

The book is a first step for beginners of Angular. It's useful but looking up information on the net on how stuff works is unavoidable since the book does not explain it properly. Watching (free) Youtube tutorials might be a better approach learning Angular.
on 28 April 2014
Because its got two authors, the chapters differ in style, so some chapters are excellent, whereas others mediocre or worse. Its annoying that one of them says "its easy" and then present some hard to understand code and keep on saying its "awesome", what would be awesome is if they had included a few diagrams as the book suffers from not even one diagram showing what's going on this is a real weakness and think the authors simply didn't make enough effort. It's hard to understand and have had to read the book twice, but on the whole it is worth getting hold of and going through.
on 10 June 2014
Well written and well balanced book. Good grounding in the basics as well as intermediate challenges and solutions. Only thing hay could improve it. OSA few diagrams to illustrate the moving parts together so you can see how they interact. As a more traditional MVC user it took me a while to figure out the exact role of controllers,services and modules. However there are plenty of these on the net now so I can self serve :)
on 19 November 2014
I have fully read this book [ i dont often cover to cover a tech book ]. I have been able to retroactively apply the clean and consise explaination to my prior angularjs apps. And they are all the better for the refactors!

Recommended this book to friends prior to cutting your first angular app - as it just makes you for effective when you do.
on 30 September 2015
A great book covering basic Angular through to a some advanced stuff. I would like to see another follow up book covering more advanced topics and some more real world recommendations of project structure and tricks and tips
on 19 January 2015
I've developed a few NG sites without really knowing the details so was looking for a book to solidify what I thought I knew. This book did exactly that, explaining some of the quirks I had not understood, and presenting a very clear development process. I got a lot more from this book that had anticipated, and I'd make it required reading for any devs working on NG apps in our team. Highly recommended
on 5 April 2014
I had been looking at a number of books and videos whilst trying to get into Angular and wanted something concise and to the point. I also wanted example code that was concise and reinforced the principles as you progressed through the book. I had another book Mastering Web Applications with Angular that whilst good lacked example code. For me this book ticked all the boxes. I find I can read it without being in front of a computer and take in the subject matter which is a bonus.
on 28 March 2015
Examples do not work due to missing code ie. importing a Route module correctly. Also they tend to advise the best way of coding your app and do the opposite in their demonstrations. Typically written by a programmer who expects the reader to have a crystal ball.