Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 June 2013
Perhaps not a review headline many would expect in a technical book review, but I can honestly say that this book was a pleasure to read through and I looked forward to reaching out for this 'light read' in the best sense of a potentially 'heavy' subject. I've been an Ubuntu Linux command line user for several years and bought this book as a way to understand the differences in OS X's command line that had been baffling me from time to time using OS X Server Mountain Lion. So, although I already knew quite a bit about what the author was talking about, I found his writing style and depth of knowledge a really pleasant way to consolidate and extend my knowledge.
on 10 May 2013
I am not a programmer but have used unix based workstations for work in the nineties. I found this book a great way to bridge those early Unix experiences to being able to perform useful tasks today on a modern Mac. Would have liked another chapter or two of more advanced material but overall well worth it.
on 22 November 2012
If you want to introduce in the world of the unix commands on Mac; this is your book. It is short, but very precise. I recommend it.
Apple's OS X operating system is based upon the widely-used Unix operating system. It is a multitasking, multiuser computer operating system that originates from AT&T Unix and developed in the 1970s at the Bell Labs research center by Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie, and others. My first acquaintance with Unix dates from the mid-70s, about a decade before the development of OS X. This edition addresses all versions of OS X up to and including Mountain Lion. I am not aware of later editions of this book covering Mavericks or Yosemite operating systems. O'Reilly is another excellent publisher of computer text books. The author, David Taylor, is well known for his books on the OS X operating system.
on 13 December 2014