Customer reviews

on 6 April 2016
THE definitive guide on Hadoop. Theres a reason its pretty much the standard on Hadoop at this point.
Not sure if there is a 5th edition out soon, so investigate that soon before buying this.
on 19 April 2014
I was looking for a book that explained Hadoop & HDFS with some technical depth to understand the practical implications of building solutions on Hadoop with a starting point of unix skills, data-warehousing but zero knowledge of Hadoop or MapReduce.
This book definitely meets the bill. It provides clear explanations of HDFS, MapReduce, HIVE, HBASE and more both in terms of what how they work and what they are good for but also provides some technical Java based examples (which I have largely skipped through). The book also covers real world implementations showing various patterns used by major Hadoop consumers that make use of the various toolsets which for me helped to cement the ideas and strengths of the various elements.
I have already recommended this book to others.
The only reason for not rating it higher is that I cannot yet testify to the quality of the code samples.
on 22 February 2015
Excellent book. I was new to Java and Unix so needed some help from other books along the way to be able to run the examples here, but got there in the end. Great that it covers Java MapReduce, Pig and Hive as well as showing how to get HDFS up and running to try it for yourself. Not an easy subject, but the book was a huge help.
on 5 August 2016
Excellent book to learn Hadoop.
on 12 November 2013
Great if you are getting started with Hadoop - easy to read and with some good examples the book has really helped me gain the deeper insight and understanding of Hadoop.
on 13 August 2013
At the first time I was little unsure about this one because comments were a little bit confusing. However I am happy that most part of comments weren't true. Having almost no information and knowledge about Hadoop I was able to understand everything and would like to recommend it to all the Hadoop beginners.
on 11 February 2015
Does what it says on the tin
on 24 March 2015
Very detailed and well written book!
on 21 August 2015
I spent a few hours studying a colleagues copy and decided not to buy. It is a perfectly good book, but it is way too long. As a software developer and IT consultant I have to learn or stay up-to-date with dozens of technologies and programming languages. I just do not have time to work through 600+ plus pages on every one. The background information on who did what when, who is friends with who is all very interesting, but I do not need to know any of that to learn to use the software. I understand that the creators are proud of their work, and can become expansivve about it, but for those of us working in IT someone's life's work is just one more technology or tool amongst dozens to be mastered (or at least understood well enough to work with). It is also a problem that a long book tends to be a heavy book, and that makes it diffficult to carry very much reference material around with me. [I know I can get electronic versions, but a paper version is still easier (at least for me) to learn from, and I see little point in buying both].

This is probably a perfect book for the Hadoop specialist, but it misses the mark for a multi-skilled generalist. All I want to see is a con concise overview of what a component does, a similarly concise description of it architecture, definitions of the APIs, and a few terse (but well explained examples).
on 19 February 2013
I read this book while preparing for the CCDH exam. It's a solid all around book covering several different areas of the Hadoop ecosystem. However, it shouldn't be the first book someone reads about Hadoop. For that purpose maybe Hadoop in Action is a better fit. Once you get the high level of what Hadoop is all about, you can proceed with this book, keeping in mind that for every page in the book there is 5-10X amount of info available online.
It's a good book for covering the breadth and getting into quite some depth in each topic if you are willing to extend from the examples provided. It gets into quite some depth with aspects that matter like the inner workings of Mapper/Shuffle+Sort/Reducer etc.
Missed the 5th star for not covering the 2.0 info or even the annotations behind the API evolution which is a big point for newcomers to the ecosystem.