Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 February 2012
I have used this to get going with PERL. I have done some scripting so I think that helps getting you started but I think anyone should be able to start using PERL with this book.

Not gone all the way through yet but the stuff I have done was very good.
on 23 May 2014
Not only an excellent introduction to learning Perl, but an fantastically written book, enjoyed it from cover to cover, and footnote to appendices. My only slight criticism is that some more advanced concepts (references for example) are not covered in great detail, but that is where Intermediate Perl or Programming Perl book comes in.
on 11 August 2014
The book lives up to the promise it makes in the preface: "best way to spend your first .. hours with Perl"
Very balanced and concise introduction to the language. Even after many years, this book my remains my go-to reference. And the best part is, it is thoroughly enjoyable!
on 19 September 2012
If you just get started with perl, this is really a good book for you. I love it very very much.
on 26 April 2013
Not a bad book, though it can be a little hard to find what you want once you get beyond the initial learning stages and actually want to write code. What I don't understand is why anyone would want to! A dreadful language. It used to said that it is easy to write "write only" code in C, but perl is 10 times worse!