on 10 December 2012
I've never read a self-help book before. A friend recommended Brilliant Self-confidence after reading the first Edition. It's completely changed my approach to life. I had no idea there were so many things (sometimes very small things) you can do to improve your confidence. This book is packed with practical ideas you can try out straight away. It's a great read for anyone with confidence or self-belief issues.
on 23 January 2014
Tis a fine book full of positiveness and get-up-and-go. No longer do I finger my revolver and mutter: "I see no ships only hardships" but launch myself into a different kind of day. We need more books like this...
on 5 May 2015
I've had this book for a good year or so by now, surely. Unfortunately I can't get past the first few chapters. If I wanted my confidence to be sold to me, I'd have bought it by the bucketload long ago had it been available.

The term 'positive thinking', even in CBT, can be just as easily exaggerated as negativity. It's personal preference, really, but what I was hoping for was a reduction in exaggerated negative thinking and a resultant increase in more realistic thinking. Perhaps 'faking it' can work in the short term; by all means feign confidence if it makes you feel better, but don't use it as a foundation for your self-esteem. The fact that this is what the book opens with, immediately after discussing past events that may give insight into why one might be lacking confidence in adulthood (now THAT was useful), feels like backtracking. Not even backtracking, actually. It feels like running in the opposite direction - backwards. It feels false. It feels as though I'm trying to have my own confidence sold to me, and that's enough to bring on anxiety in itself.

There's also page after page of what feels like filler; McClement explains a point and then uses a few examples to illustrate not only what he means, but to also make the aforementioned method look good. Again, it's like a sales pitch more than a self-help guide; "LOOK AT THIS THING THAT THIS PERSON TRIED - IT WORKED FOR THEM AND IT CAN WORK FOR YOU". It might not necessarily be a negative to everyone, but I really didn't like 1) how the evidential pieces spoke to me and 2) the fact that there were so many. People tried your method? Cool? And it worked? Doubly cool. I don't need to know three or four times over. Unnecessary reading.

Some of the other language used gave me pause, too. There are obviously references to confident, successful people as general examples of what one could become by following this guide. As I mentioned beforehand, the text reads as though you're expected to be in a competitive environment, and the competitive environment is the most important part of your life. Well, not really. I just want to learn how to leave the house without getting heart palpitations, or submit an assignment without having reworked it a bajillion times although I've been told it's fine by my tutors. What is unhelpful about said examples is that there is usually some element of blaming or shaming towards the reader, if not sweeping statements; 'how many successful people do you know who approach things negatively? None.' That isn't true for starters, at least not for everyone.

I have a pocketful of unconfident friends who have worked for some large names as graphic designers and illustrators. They pull through one way or another. Negativity isn't a measure of one's success. In fact, I'd relabel this as a collection of exercises and case studies on success rather than confidence - not necessarily in the workplace, but generally.

I flicked through the rest of the book and browsed some of the exercises. Even tried my hand at some. The exercises themselves, I can honestly say, are helpful, provided you apply them effectively to your own situation. The prose, however, just wasn't speaking to me at all. Perhaps I should've bought a book on anxiety instead.
I have read this book and can say just good thing about it. After reading it, I realised of many thing that I was doing wrong in my work. There are many activities very helpful.
on 10 December 2012
Brilliant Self-confidence is a great book. Simple and easy to read. Practical with no complicated psychology. Written in a very familiar and personable way. Has really helped me to refocus my life and approach challenges in a completely different way - both at work and at home. Would thoroughly recommend it. MGB
on 27 December 2013
Great confidence booster, will help going forward. Happy days all round. Would recommend to anyone interested in self development and well being
on 7 January 2014
liked to read it, very useful and full of information. I learned a lot not just about myself but in general about people I'm surrounded.
on 16 September 2014
I have to say this book has been a huge help. I was having some trouble and conflict with a manager at work and couldn't see what the issue was and why we kept clashing. Someone suggested it could be a confidence thing, but I disregarded this as I thought I was a really confident person. But after the first chapter of this book I was gob smacked to see the paragraphs pulling me apart to reveal that confidence was exactly what it was. I think it's very easy to forgot simple principles in life and how confidence is such a broad subject. Couldn't recommend this book enough for work, hobbies and even relationships. Highly recommended.
on 11 November 2014
I have been through a lot the last few months and a recurring theme has been self doubt and a lack of confidence within myself. I have tried all sorts of different books but always came up short with no real answer to my problem. Most books expected you to be able to visualise a confident self at the very start. For one reason or another I was unable to imagine a future confident self. Fortunately, this book takes another tack and that has allowed me to feel better about myself and my life. If you take the book seriously then there is a lot to do to get your confident self back and your life back on the rails.
If you suffer from self doubt and a lack of confidence and have the will to change things for the better then I believe you cannot make a better choice, this is a true self help book.
on 19 March 2014
There is always room for improvement in our lives and how we behave with one another.Treat a person how you want to be treated.