on 22 August 2014
This amazing book is about a boy who lives in Ethiopia his has been running all his life and has always wanted to run in the Olympics with the Ethiopian champions.

Elizabeth Laird has turned this book into a masterpiece great emotion, description and plot.
I would recommend this book for 8+

Ruari
Age 10
7 people found this helpful
on 25 May 2017
I'm an English teacher and my 9 year old son is a reluctant reader but enthusiastic competitive runner and swimmer. We're reading this book together and he's enjoying it more than others he's read in recent years. I'm really pleased with it. We're not at the end yet but I'm enjoying the story too.
on 7 August 2015
Better than I expected. Short and full of action, so it's very suitable for children aged around 9-13. It's reminiscent of Beverley Naidoo's "Journey to Jo'burg", but a bit less intense. One of the best things is that it skilfully combats the impression of Africa as one undifferentiated mass of poverty: the country village with its simple lifestyle is well contrasted with the city-dwellers and their mobile phones and motor vehicles.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 March 2018
I absolutely loved this book. It was very gripping g and I would definitely recommend this to my co-workers and friends.☺
on 13 February 2017
beautiful book
on 6 January 2017
enjoying this
on 1 September 2016
good read
on 20 November 2016
Fabulous book which captured the attention of my y5/6 class who were doing a topic on the Olympics. An inspiring story and not too long to use as a class novel.
on 12 March 2016
Good to see a 'boys' book included with the Carnegie tities. A lovely read with super illustrations, which satisfyingly fill the page in a sumptuous manner. One to enjoy reading to others and read alone.
on 26 April 2015
9 year old grandson took to it straight away, having been on a 'diet' of Diary of a Wimpy Kid since
Christmas, and was ready for something perhaps more thought provoking. A bit of a shot in the dark for me - but it came off!!
One person found this helpful