Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 January 2016
(The late) Kent Haruf is the master of economical prose which communicates the nuances of human emotions. Holt - the imaginary small Colorado town where his novels are set - and its inhabitants reflect perfectly the human condition. He never puts a foot wrong.
on 20 November 2015
Kent Haruf is always a delight to read with his beautiful clear style that says so much more than many a verbose text. Like other books of his, there is a mixture of simple joys and moments of human warmth, which make the coarseness and menace of his more brutish characters all the more harrowing. Jack Burdette goes from an idle irresponsible teenage football talent to a gross selfish boor. The ending is unutterably sad. One thing Haruf is very good at is writing touchingly about children. In all his books you are touched by their experiences, admiring their toughness and simple childhood pleasures, and sorrowing at the bitter happenings that inevitably injure these little lives.
on 30 July 2014
Kent Haruf is a wonderful writer, I love all his work and long for more novels from his masterful pen. I can see each character in my mind's eye, I can see the streets, the houses, stores, the distant mountains. The story slowly unfolds to its dramatic conclusion which left me almost breathless. Thank goodness I have one more unread work to look forward to!
on 2 June 2015
I discovered this wonderful author by "accident" and I am so glad that I did. Like his other novels, this is an excellent story of small town american life, but I have only given it 4 stars as I was a bit disappointed by the end. There was such a build up over the last few chapters, but I felt that the ending was a bit of an anti climax - still really enjoyed it though.
on 15 June 2012
I don't know why more people don't know about this author. This is the third book of his that I have read and I continue to admire and enjoy his work. His writing is without frills and fancy bits but he still manages to make your imagination conjure up the surroundings, the characters and how they feel. This book perhaps itsn't the best of the three I've read, I would say that so far The Tie That Binds is my absolute favourite, with Plainsong second, but they all have a wonderful sparse feel to them, they are all based in Holt, Colorado, they all have a specific story but its the 'side' stories and vivid characters and the beautiful prose that really makes them stand out for me.
on 14 July 2010
As with his other books the prose and the seamless way new characters are introduced into the narrative are sublime. And again at the end you are left desperate to know what the future holds.
on 18 January 2012
This book is a great read. I finished it in 2 days. Its description of small town USA is perfect. It exposed all the cracks and also the cement that holds communities together.
on 20 May 2014
Haruf writes evocatively of the Colorado / Wyoming ? Montana area of the USA. He clearly loves the land and its people and invites us to do so, too. I accept!!
on 26 July 2010
I love all Kent Hanuf's book - they're an incredible reflection of life, loves and hardships - excellent.
on 19 August 2016
Love Kent haruf's writing. Have read them all now. This had some surprising twists.