Format: Hardcover|Change

on 19 April 2014
I can still vividly remember my first trip to Peter's tea shop in Weybridge. It was September 1975 - I was 13 years old and I had just started boarding at St Maur's Convent in Weybridge. Although my parents did not live far away they had told me I was not allowed home for the first month. I was in a small dormitory of 4 girls and they had all gone home for the weekend so I was all alone. A girl the year above must have taken pity on me as she invited me to her birthday tea at Peter's. I had never experienced an afternoon tea before. We were ushered to a table at the back of the tea shop where we were joined by the birthday girl's brother - a boy from St George's College - this was another first as I had never spoken to a "college" boy!

It was a sumptuous feast - with plates of dainty sandwiches and an array of delicious cakes. I can recall the background hum of conversation and the chink of china. It was the start of my love affair with tea shops! I returned to Peter's many times over the years and I was so delighted to discover that Peter's daughter has written this book which has brought back so many memories.

As soon as I got the book I sat down and read it cover to cover. Louise Johncox has really captured the essence of why Peter's tea shop was such a special place and it has rekindled my memories of a time gone by - it is a beautiful book.
I'm off now to start baking "Frankie's lemon drizzle cake"!
on 27 March 2014
I love this book: its just what baking should be: warming, wholesome and comforting. it takes us back to a longed for age when baking was about happy times making tempting treats, rather than high pressure competitions. The recipes do not seem daunting like so many baking recipes, and the writing of family times and Louise's love and admiration for her dad bought a tear (more than one ) to my eye.
on 17 March 2014
A lovely book which is more than just recipes. The family stories are charming and remind me of going to the baker's with my grandparents. There's a good mix of simple and more complicated recipes, and the section for baking with children will get much use in our house.
on 17 March 2014
This book arrived on a day when I was feeling quite ill and in need of some cheering up. It was a lovely surprise when it was delivered earlier than expected and I spent a good few hours reading it. It's a charming catalogue of family recipes, penned by the daughter of a baker who ran a tea shop together with his wife for many years. The recipes are very traditional and full of nostalgia, but for me it's the narrative that accompanies them which makes this book shine. We are taken on a journey through the lives of the author's parents and family. Be prepared to be very moved by some of it, I was in tears on quite a few occasions. All in all a lovely book which I'm very glad I purchased.
on 19 March 2014
Love the story, love the recipes, love the layout, loving the book. It's inspired me to push forward even harder with my own personal endeavours, which is my own cake business, named after my late father. Louise has captured the atmosphere of her fathers bakery and brought it back to life with true family run bakery recipes. There is a story behind each detailed,easy to follow traditional recipes. Brilliant !
on 19 March 2014
I was originally given a copy of this book as a present as I had a personal connection with the bakery. It is a wonderful read as well as a cookery book, and sucks you into the family it revolves around. The photos of the family are truly lovely.
I can recommend the cream slices, Florentines and iced buns for a starter.
It is a fab gift or a treat for yourself, I have just bought a copy for my mother in law who I know will be thrilled.
A must have in every bakers kitchen
on 19 March 2014
A wonderful book that inspired me to take up baking after a lapse of many many years!! I started with rock cakes (used to make them and thought they would be a good re-introduction) and next I tried Florentines and tomorrow I hope to try the Lemon Drizzle cake. But the joy of the book is the family history it tells so very poignant and loving.
on 23 April 2014
I bought this lovely book as I have a connection to Weybridge and spent many a happy hour in Peter's, with cream meringues being the cake of choice every time. I love the stories which weave through each chapter bringing the Johncox family history to life and I have enjoyed that as much as the recipes. That said I had my first attempt at a lemon meringue pie from scratch for my son's 18th birthday dinner - it was a resounding success. Today I have tackled Palmiers and I put them in the oven thinking they would never turn out like Louise's perfect pastry specimens! Imagine my surprise and joy when out came 20 perfect heart shaped Palmiers! My next project is coffee japs yum can't wait. I highly recommend this book - it's wonderful.
on 22 April 2014
I must echo other reviewers in saying that this is a touching tribute to the author's father, as well as being a fascinating history of baking and tea rooms. However at its heart, it is predominantly a recipe book crammed full of my own childhood favourites: Eccles cakes, fondant fancies, Battenburg and Welsh Rarebit, to name a few. Being the same age as the author I am really appreciating re-visiting some of these slightly less than fashionable treats and baking them for my own children. My son declared the Eccles cakes 'much better than shop bought' - praise indeed. A few days ago I used the Simnel cake recipe, my first ever attempt, and despite its simplicity, it was absolutely delicious. Everyone had seconds and my daughter had it for breakfast. I look forward to trying out Peter's Christmas cake recipe.
on 30 July 2014
This book arrived today and I love it already.....it reminds me of the cakes my mum used to buy from the bakers when I was a young girl. I cant wait to bake the apple cake, farmhouse fruitcake and cream slices.....all of which will take me back to memories of childhood. I have yet to read it thoroughly...im saving that pleasure for my journey home this evening but the parts I have read are so beautiful. Its lovely to read the little notes after each recipe and to read the family history.

If you love recipe books as I do and enjoy 'proper' old fashioned recipes then I highly recommend. Beautifully written, lovely pictures and great tips. I cant wait to start baking.