1,824
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 April 2017
I think the book's name is extremely misleading. I expected an exploration of the mother's feelings about her lost child, but the account of Philomena herself ends very early in the book. The early part was interesting, but soon the bookbecomes simply the lifestory of her son, complete with detailed accounts of his homosexuality and his job in the Republican administration. Moreoever, I felt the writing was very pedestrian, all tell and no show... Some people may find the extensive descriptions of US politics etc interesting, but they are hardly what the book promised! Very disappointing!
I thought this book would be more about adoption but found it mainly about the politics of the time.It begins with the story of two pregnant young girls and their treatment by the nuns in a home for unmarried moms in Ireland.I was really surprised by a lot of things that went on within the Catholic church at the time, and certainly not good things.
It then follows the two babies to America and how they were brought up and how one of them has a political career. He discovers that he is `Gay` which takes another turn of events telling the secrecy behind it at the time. Eventually they decide to return to Ireland to try and discover what really happened when they were young. A very interesting and a real eyeopener read.
on 22 May 2017
I had heard of this story when it was made into a film and have now got around to reading it. It was not as I expected but an interesting tale.

Martin Sixsmith writes about Anthony, who was adopted, and a little about how mother and son tried to come to terms with their separation. They each knew they had to find one another.

The Catholic Church does not come out of this very well. Is it enough to say that's how things were in Ireland? I'm not sure.
on 11 March 2017
This is heartbreaking stuff. It is sensitively written and paints the characters in this very well indeed.
on 18 November 2015
This is A long book and it took me a while to get into it. I thought it would have a happy ending.... It's certainly a good reflection of the times that people lived in in Ireland din the 20th century
on 5 April 2017
Very interesting.
on 24 March 2017
absolutely brilliant book
on 7 February 2014
I thought about going to see the film first but was so glad I did not as I believe I got a much better beieavable story from this book just read it I do not want to compromise any persons take on this sad and true story.
on 18 May 2017
Good
on 23 March 2014
Philomena: The True Story of the Film (Film Tie-in Edition): The True Story...
Martin Sixsmith
cant put it down. excellent read :-))