Identical
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 23 June 2014
Most of the action takes place in 2008, but there are flashbacks to 1982 and the murder of a young woman in her family home. The first part of the book is what we expect from Scott Trurow. There is a lot of courtroom action, and although the plot moves slowly, I found it quite gripping.

I often find that crime writers run out of steam in the middle of their books, but the author here does the opposite. There are a series of plot twists that are so surprising that I wondered how he could wring any more excitement out of the story. He just about manages to, and although I didn't guess the ending, I found it a bit of an anticlimax.
on 5 October 2017
Great book as usual
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 April 2014
Thank you to the publisher for the review copy.

Two families entangled in a long and complex history of love and deceit . . Twenty five years ago, after a society picnic held by businessman and politician Zeus Kronon, Zeus’ headstrong daughter Dita was found murdered. Her boyfriend, Cass Gianis, confessed to the crime.Now Cass has been released from prison into the care of his twin, Mayoral candidate Paul Gianis, who is in the middle of a high profile political campaign. But Dita’s brother Hal is convinced there is information surrounding his sister’s death that remains buried – and he won’t rest until he’s discovered the truth.

I’ve long been a fan of Scott Turow’s novels since many years ago I read the brilliant “Presumed Innocent” He does write the most terrific legal mystery novels and this one was no exception to the rule.

Mr Turow always writes with great depth when it comes to relationships and the emotional resonance of how events affect us, weaving a tale around people and places that is always compelling, clever and thrilling to read – here he explores the ties that bind identical twins. Cass and Paul are so alike and yet so very different – when Cass is released after serving a 25 year sentence for murder, they hope to rediscover their relationship and get on with life. They reckon without Hal, who is absolutely certain that the whole truth has yet to be revealed.

I was immersed in this one immediately – I found both Cass and Paul to be extremely fascinating, their relationship being a naturally close one – and as the themes of family, betrayal, love and loss are explored here, the picture starts to become clearer…or does it..

As we follow along with the investigation undertaken by Hal’s employee’s and watch the legal battle unfold, it is captivating, highly entertaining and often emotional. Just what did happen on that fateful night all those years ago ? Cass may have confessed but Hal has no doubt that there is more to it – he is tenacious, difficult, unable to let go and often aggravating but he, also, is a completely fascinating character. Excellent storytelling and absolutely addictive.

All in all another terrific read for me – I am one happy reviewer at the moment. Enjoy!

Happy Reading Folks!
on 8 August 2014
Identical twins, prosthetic noses, incest anxiety (like the do-to-dot version of Eugenides Middlesex). As ever he can craft a page-turner but here you resent it as it's in the service of such a hackneyed old pot-boiler.
So poor it reminded me of David Baldacci whose aspiration is to step up and create two-dimensional characters.
on 10 January 2015
One of my favourite authors, but without a doubt his worst effort so far. A Greek tragedy - I'm guessing that's the kind of profound tag he was aiming for. But it's a really just a bloated, second-rate family saga, populated by a confusing array of one-dimensional characters (most with unpronouncable names) and an unbelievable plot twist that most readers will have seen coming as soon as they read the title. Barely worth 1 star to be blunt.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 24 October 2013
The lives of the Kronos and Gianis families have been entangled for decades, first as friends and then divided by a feud that has lasted for over twenty years. But when the Gianis boys - identical twins Cass and Paul - grow up, Cass falls in love with Dita, daughter of the head of the Kronos family, a man who calls himself Zeus. During a picnic at which both families are present, Dita is killed and a few days later Cass confesses to the crime.

The book has a double time-line. The main one takes place in 2008 and begins just as Cass is about to be released from prison. The events of the day of the picnic in 1982 are told in flashback, in occasional chapters cut into the main narrative. By 2008, Zeus has been long dead, and the Kronos business empire is now headed by his son Hal. Hal has never been satisfied that the full story of his sister's death has been told and publicly accuses Cass's twin, Paul, of having been involved. Paul is campaigning to become mayor and is left with little option but to sue for slander, which he does, but with great reluctance. Hal tasks Evon Miller with the job of seeking evidence to back up his accusations...

There's much less courtroom stuff in this than in most of Turow's earlier books, and there's been a bit of a generational shift in the characters. We catch brief glimpses of the old guard - Raymond Horgan and Sandy Stern both put in cameo appearances - but the focus of the book is on the investigation carried out by Evon and ex-cop Tim Brodie, both on the payroll of Hal's firm. Evon is an ex-FBI agent who first appeared in, I think, Personal Injuries. Through the feuding families, Turow takes us into the Greek community of Kindle County - a close-knit group of immigrants and their descendants holding to old traditions, and with bonds and enmities that are passed down through the generations.

Turow's skill is in telling a story slowly, concentrating on each character in turn and giving a complete picture of them. Here he shows us Evon, struggling still in middle-age to find love and acceptance and dealing with a relationship that has reached breaking point. Through Tim and a couple of the oldest of the Greek immigrants, he looks with great empathy and insight at how differently aging can affect people. Love is a major theme in the book - family love, romantic love, lost love and, not least, the unique bond that binds the twins so closely that sometimes it is as if they are two parts of the same identity.

The investigation rests mainly on forensic evidence, with the now familiar story of advances in DNA technology that make it possible to revisit old crimes. By a third of the way through, I was convinced I knew what had happened. By halfway through, that idea was blown out of the water, but again I felt I was on the right track and partially I was. However the end, when it came, did surprise me - but this isn't really a thriller in the sense of a big explosive action-packed climax. With Turow, it's more thoughtful than that - more of a concentration on the impact of the people involved and of the legacy in broken lives.

I don't think this is Turow's best plotted novel, but as always loved the quality of his writing and the depth of his characterisation. Oddly, the weakest characters for me were the twins themselves and I found the resolution of their part of the story stretched my credibility a bit more than I like. But the Greek theme was handled very well, giving a genuine feel to this community within a larger society. And I loved the concentration on the older age-group - it means these characters have fully-finished lives; they are who they are, not what they might become. Although this is not, for me, Turow's absolute best it's still an excellent book: thoughtful, a little nostalgic and of course beautifully written. Highly recommended.

NB This book was provided for review by the publisher.
on 12 July 2014
Almost didn’t finish this. Actually checked late in the book to see if anything attracted me more than the beginning and decided to rejoin. Stuck with it mainly to see if my guess of the plot was right, but I finished feeling as if I’d read a mental exercise mostly meant to entertain the author.
on 19 November 2014
poor writing style, many characters with confusing names. unnecessary side stories. some ideas in it not realistic. plot drawn out.
on 2 November 2015
A standard Thurow. Great read and a page turner and much enjoyed, but you will (likely) guess the "who dunnit" if not the "how other did it" early, and not necessarily care so very much about the outcome. I have read, I think, 7 of his books and onle give this 3 to snctify the 4 or 5 I give to others. Versus the competition it is a 4.
on 22 June 2014
Greek myth meets Greek tragedy in a clever and detailed plot with many facets, skilfully unfolded. The author engages you with his insights into stuff like what it's like to be eighty one, being an identical twin and, of course, different kinds of human and animal love.