Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 December 2015
The fifth Stephanie Plum story - and I can't believe I've only read five - sees work drying up for the only-just-professional bounty hunter, and she tries her hand at helping out with some other business.

It's a bit of a mix as far as the plot goes, with about four or five different threads going on in parallel, but they are all quite straightforward to follow and work together to make the character's life into a rounded and believable one.

The soap opera aspects of the story come a little more to the forefront than previously, but that doesn't distract from the core investigation of the story and just adds colour and emotion. There's a lot more humour added to the mix with a new character, although that's balanced by the return of some jokes that are getting old.

A good, quick and light read that provides a happy distraction for a few hours.
In this high-powered action mystery, Stephanie Plum (bumbling bounty hunter extraordinaire) starts with her life at a low point. She is broke, she has no work to do, she has broken up with her policeman boy friend Joe Morelli, and she has an unwelcome unpaid investigative job to find her annoying cheapskate Uncle Fred. But life does improve by the end, and Stephanie saves the day!
If you have not yet read a Stephanie Plum novel, let me explain about her. She is one of the most endearing mystery characters ever developed. Fiercely independent, her attitude is always showing (although she may shake like a leaf afterwards). Tremendously attracted to aggressive men, she plays it coy as much as she possibly can. Prone to disasters, she keeps her chin up and keeps on trucking. Loyal to her family, she is often babysitting her Grandma Mazur when she and her Father are not hitting it off. And she makes her living by bring in people who are out of jail on bail and fail to appear in court. She gets 10 percent of the bail amount when she succeeds. It's a tough way to go for the former lingerie model, but it excites and challenges her to the core.
If you already know Stephanie, you will find her at her caring, jealous, lusting, nosy, sneaky, obtuse, hungry, and persistent best. She finds herself more and more attracted to Ranger (her bounty hunting mentor) and to Joe Morelli (her policeman exboy-friend). Yet she wants to be in charge, which sets up a great source of conflicts.
To give you a sense of how appealing I find her as a character, whenever she ignores an obvious clue I want to tell her to pay attention. With any other book, I find myself annoyed with the author for making the msytery too transparent. But you will want to read this book for Stephanie, not for the mystery (although it is a perfectly fine one).
Before the book is done, you will have experienced explosions, homicidal attacks, lots of gun play, Stephanie will go through a number of vehicles in typical Stephanie fashion, bail jumpers will be brought to justice, deaths will be avenged, Uncle Fred will be found, and you'll go to more viewings as a funeral home than you can imagine. The story is very fast paced and rewarding. Yet all of this is done with consistent humor and balance. So although there is a dark side, it is always overwhelmed by Stephanie's light.
The plot is very well developed. You have the main plot of finding Uncle Fred. To that are added important subplots of getting to know Joe Morelli better (even attending a family wedding with him), getting nonbounty-hunting jobs from Ranger, working on her diet, solving her financial problems, having an unwanted roommate, being stalked by a mystery man, and being hunted by a killer with revenge on his mind. Each of the subplots could make a whole novel if more fleshed out. The result is that you get a whole fabric of a life and her relationships here, moving forward and backward in time.
This book provides an unusually good balance of plot, character development, and humor. On the humor side, let me mention for those who have not read these books before that Stephanie is a very bawdy person in many ways, and the language and situations can have an overt sexual cast. So if you are offended easily by hearing about how a woman thinks about men sexually, you may not like the book. That's the only drawback I need to warn you about.
In fact, this book is so successful that is transcends the normal action mystery genre. Virtually everyone will find this book to be an engaging, uplifting read. I liked it much better than Hot Six! (which I also recommend that you read) because the mystery, the plotting, and the character developments are much better done and balanced in this one.
Overcome your disbelief that women can't make it in a man's world! Let Stephanie save your day by providing you with a wonderful read!
on 16 July 2013
Liked all these books from Janet Evanovich.
Saw the first one "One For The Money" on My Life In Books with Anne Robonson. She had Dan Snow and his Dad who mentioned the first book that his wife had suggested they read it!
I bought the first 3 after this show and then got the rest. They are all quite good and funny.
In fact, this book is so successful that is transcends the normal action mystery genre. Virtually everyone will find this book to be an engaging, uplifiting read. I liked it much better than Hot Six! (which I also recommend that you read) because the mystery, the plotting, and the character developments are much better done and balanced in this one.
on 30 October 2010
"High Five" is a comedy/thriller about a bad bounty hunter called Stephanie Plum. It's, perhaps unsurprisingly, the 5th book in the Stephanie Plum series.

In this book, Plum's asked to investigate the disappearance of her tight fisted Uncle Fred who disappeared while going to complain about his garbage bill with the local waste management company.

All in all, it wasn't a bad book. There was a decent story. It was a little predictable, but then you need that in "serial books" every so often. I think people'd be a little shocked if the series suddenly became something totally different.

My two grumbles with the book would be that Plum isn't improving fast enough as a bounty hunter for my liking, which is a little irritating. In addition there were times when the humor felt a little forced, which is a shame. I wanted to laugh, but I found I was groaning internally instead sometimes.
on 6 June 2000
I got an early copy of the paperback in Bordeaux and fell on it. It's hugely enjoyable, I read it straight through no problem, sadly it doesn't have that extra something the four previous books did. Stephanie's as sassy as ever, the plot as wild and fast moving, but, and it's a big but, nearly all the sexual tension between Stephanie and Morelli has gone. What a shame! Morelli was quite the sexiest thing in print, now he's going almost respectable and Stephanie describing him as 'magic' doesn't have a fraction of the punch of their spiky encounters of the previous books. So Ranger's attractive too, but he ain't Morelli!
Stephanie doesn't have the best of luck but she's reached an all time low in this fifth instalment of the series. Things are on the rocks between her and Joe Morelli, her favourite stalker Benito Ramirez has been released from prison and gone straight back to hunting her, she's completely broke and nobody seems to be skipping bail right now so work is hard to come by. To top it all off her uncle Fred is missing and she's now obliged to spend her time trying to track him down, something that won't help her financial situation as it's a job she won't be paid for. Thankfully her fellow bounty hunter and mentor Ranger throws her a lifeline and offers her a side job working for Rangeman Enterprises but that's only going to make things more complicated, especially when Ranger turns the charm on full force.

The Stephanie Plum series is so much fun to read and I think that High Five was the funniest book yet, I giggled so many times when I was reading this thanks to Stephanie's disastrous luck with cars and there were some hilarious conversations around Ranger's increasing interest in her romantically. Now let's just have a quick chat about Ranger here, if you thought Morelli had things all sewn up in the relationship department Ranger is about to make you question everything, and, as someone who normally hates love triangles with the passion of a burning sun, it's amazing how much I enjoy this one.

It's been a long time since I read this series last but I'm on my 3rd read through of about the first 10 books and 2nd of the following 6 so I'm not a newbie by any means and I honestly STILL can't decide which one of the guys I like best. They both suit Stephanie in different ways and I actually think she'd stand a good chance of making things work with either of them but I do think her history with Joe puts him in a good position to come out on top (please don't spoiler me if you know who she chooses, I honestly can't remember if a decision has been made or not in the books I read in and I'm planning on reading the entire series so I will find out for myself soon enough). Up until this point Stephanie's chemistry with Joe has been the most obvious but they both currently have very different ideas about marriage and what they want from the future. Ranger is a man of mystery but we finally get to learn a little more about his background in this one, including a couple of surprising revelations about his relationship history. We still have a lot of questions about what he does with most of his time and how he can afford to keep Stephanie stocked with a seemingly endless supply of high level cars but it's pretty clear that he works in a few gray areas. I enjoyed seeing him push Stephanie a bit in this book, he knocks her out of her comfort zone and it makes for an interesting dynamic between them.

The romance really isn't the main focus of these stories though and it's Stephanie along with her friends and family that really make this series shine. I absolutely adore Grandma Mazur, she never fails to make me laugh and she gets herself into some hilarious situations this time. I'm actually quite surprised that Stephanie's poor father hasn't moved out yet, he must be close to a nervous breakdown by now! We get fun new side characters introduced in every book but this one sees the return of the creepiest villain of the entire series and he absolutely terrifies me. Stephanie is one gutsy lady to manage to stand her ground when facing him and I don't blame her in the slightest for falling to pieces afterwards. The mystery of Stephanie's missing uncle was well done and took things in a direction I wasn't expecting but that's something this series has always done well. These books are brilliant, light hearted, very, very funny and the perfect way to spend an afternoon, High Five ends on a MAJOR tease so I'm glad I don't have to wait for the next book to be released.
In HIGH FIVE, the fifth in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich,Stephanie hits a new high in dysfunctionality when it comes to men.
Plum is a klutzy bond enforcement agent, i.e. bounty hunter, working forbail bondsman and sleazy cousin, Vinnie, in Trenton, NJ. In this book,Stephanie's official assignment takes back seat to a family request tofind Uncle Fred, who's disappeared. But what's with the photos Uncle Mabelfound in Fred's desk of a plastic garbage bag containing a dismemberedbody? Photography wasn't Fred's hobby.
In HIGH FIVE, Plum is beset with Briggs, Bunchy, Ramirez, Morelli, andRanger. And that's just for starters. Briggs is a midget that becomesPlum's unwelcome houseguest after the latter's zeal for fugitiveapprehension results in an unfortunate incident. The mysterious Bunchyalso wants to find Fred, and is following Stephanie around. Ramirez, apsycho rapist that Plum helped put away in book one, is now back on thestreets and wants revenge.
But the real core of the novel is Stephanie's lack of a sex life - acondition that's now reaching the critical stage. Plum has prurientyearnings for Joe Morelli, a distant relative and Trenton undercover cop -that is, when she's not hating his guts for being totally exasperating inthe way males often are. After all, twelve years ago he did take hervirginity behind the eclair counter of the pastry shop in which she wasworking. Then there's Ranger, the Cuban-American, bounty hunterextraordinaire who's Stephanie's sometime mentor and now, to herdistraction, the occasional stud muffin of her fevered dreams. Our heroinehas a yen for Bad Boys, and both Morelli and Ranger can be that,especially when they dress in black.
As one would expect in a continuing series, the author must ratchet up thewackiness of Stephanie's life a notch with each succeeding volume. Throughthe first five books, she's managed to do this without stretching mycredulity beyond the breaking point. Plum is just one of those girls withexcruciatingly bad karma. I'm beginning to anticipate, though, a plotwhere Evanovich tries too hard. We'll see, because I intend to read all ofthe series - 5 more installments as of this review.
At the conclusion of HIGH FIVE, Stephanie succumbs to the need for a nightof lovin', writes the names of Morelli and Ranger on separate pieces ofpaper, mixes them in a bowl, closes her eyes and picks one, summons thewinner after showing his name to her pet hamster Rex, puts on akiller-sexy black dress, and waits for her man of the night to arrive. Thereader won't know who got lucky until it's revealed in the prologue of HOTSIX. Rex and I know, but we're not telling.
If a Stephanie Plum book was to be made into a film, Sandra Bullock wouldbe absolutely perfect in the title role.
on 3 June 2000
Is there not a 6 star option! I have now read the hardback edition of this book twice and have probobly read all the others 3 times each! I can't really add anything to say that the other reviewers didn't already write, so I suggest if you haven't read this book or any in the series, buy all 5 now to save yourself the upset of reading just the one and needing all the other 4 straight away! I have also ordered the audio tapes so I can listen to them on my walkman on the bus! Does this make me sad? No I don't think so!
on 10 May 2001
A very good friend recommended this author to me & since reading her first book I've been hooked . The latest book in the series was not a disappointment . I read this book with a mixture of dread ( how quickly does Janet write !!?? ) & excitement ( I was desperate to know where the characters would lead me & what situations our heroine would get herself into ). I too would like to spread the word - if you want an excellent read , read this